DayTraders Must Stay Connected!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vista, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Do you have one PC for just trading and absolutely no other programs on it? Seems a tad excessive but the point of needing a lean, fast running machine is well taken.

Certainly don't want to be running iTunes and have spyware clogging up your trading PC

#11     Feb 4, 2009
  2. This probably depends on the application. When I've had a failover, I've never had to re-login to IB or eSignal. Takes a moment for them to reconnect to the feed, but they do it without issue.

#12     Feb 4, 2009
  3. The dual WAN router I mentioned above can be used as an either/or or load balancer utilizing both DSL and cable.

#13     Feb 4, 2009
  4. Exactly correct, which I why I abandoned a dual wan setup in favor of two separate comps using different ISPs. If I lose connectivity on the main comp. I can swing over to the other comp. quickly, where I have my log-in screen for my trading platform already up so I can log-in immediately. This allows me to be back up and running long before a dual wan switches over and I re-log-in.

#14     Feb 4, 2009
  5. Vista

Vista

Yes, this is what I'd like to avoid, and the Dual Wan approach does not avoid this does it?. Sucre, can you comment on this?

That's why I'm wondering if the term cable/DSL optimization (as used in the Peplink models chart) has to do with utilizing BOTH cable and DSL at the same time, so that there is NO disconnect at all.

#15     Feb 4, 2009
  6. This is completely and utterly false.
    You sir, are a liar.

What your lie suggests is that I can hijack your connection, re-route to a completly different connection with a completely different IP address and wave, chuckle and grin at you and your brokerage as I use MY new account and trading tools.

We don't need no stickin passwords or security fobs.
    Your IP address has now been logged. :)

#16     Feb 4, 2009
  7. Well I must be hallucinating then. I've never had to re-login when my router has switched from cable to DSL, and that is the utter truth.

#17     Feb 4, 2009
  8. Vista

Vista

Ok just read, so like you said, might be application specific, since wareco & turdlehead seem to have to re-login.

#18     Feb 4, 2009
  9. You are confusing overall internet connectivity with a specific application connection to a back-end somewhere in the world. To achieve what you suggest, you must be logged-in separately on each connection. This would require your application to accept multiple simultaneous logged-in instances. This is my last word on the subject. Yet another thread just trolling for approval of a belief system: facts are tertiary.

#19     Feb 4, 2009
  10. dcvtss

dcvtss

If you are trading at home and both your cable and dsl are coming on the same physical path (ie. your telephone pole) then you are not really redundant. Not trying to nitpick, just my 2 cents (and professional experience). You should really consider having something like a blackberry or telco provided wireless broadband. You can configure your blackberry to work like a modem and use it as a last resort. Just imagine a tree takes down all the wires on the pole or even if its underground the conduit can break and let water in. At some point it WILL happen.

#20     Feb 4, 2009