DayTraders Must Stay Connected!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vista, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Vista

Vista

Just about any off the shelf Core 2 duo computer nowadays is adequate for most daytraders. Probably the most important issue for daytraders is simply staying connnected, which I would like to discuss here.

I've seen some terms such as Link Balancer and Load Balancer on this website. http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/products/balancers.php
    And dual wan (linksys) at this site. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30186/51/

Basically, I would like to setup a seamless internet connection, so that I'm very rarely disconnected.

1) Is this possible using both cable and DSL with a dual wan or link balancer setup?

2) Is there a difference between a dual wan and a link balancer?

3) Does a link balancer actually use both cable and DSL at the same time and optimize internet download/upload speeds?

4) Does using any of this hardware give you a completely seamless connection if your cable or dsl is disconnected, or is there some kind of delay?

5) Any recommendations on hardware to use?

6) Is a T1 connection a better alternative to the above?

2. I haven't heard the term link balancer, but you can get what you are after by using a dual WAN router.

I use a XINCOM DPG502 hooked up to cable and DSL and have never had a problem.

You can choose to "load balance" by using both connections or just use one as a fail over.

There will be a small delay if your primary connection goes out, usually a few seconds, while the router switches over to the other connection.

Look in the hardware threads for more info. There is a lot of stuff out there.

3. You need two dedicated PC's . No browsing, emails, strictly for trading.
    One for a cable, one for DSL. Or any other combination available in your area.

4. ellevers

ellevers

5. Vista

Vista

Ok, so if cable fails it automatically switches you over to DSL with a short delay. When the cable comes back up, does it auto switch you back from DSL to cable? Does it indicate to you on screen that your switching?

6. Yes, it switches you back when your designated primary connection comes back up.

There is no indication on your screen (like a pop-up box) when your line goes out but you can tell from the lights on your modem. Unless your applications show that you're not receiving data (in the few seconds before the switch) or your browser hangs, you'd never know there was a disconnect and switchover. Also you can access your router through your browser and it will tell you which connection is out along with tons of other statistics.

7. Vista

Vista

Sucre thanks for the info on Dual Wan. Looks like a good option.

Anybody else know about Link Balancing or Load Balancing hardware that actually optimizes BOTH cable and DSL connections at the same time for faster connections and zero downtime?

8. wave

wave

9. In the event a failover event occurs (regardless of the cost of the router), your trading front-end (and possibly charting, data feeds, etc.) will lose connectivity and require you re-login. Your IP (on the internet) changes and there is nothing you can do about that. Different connection, different IP to the outside world.

Mentioned so the OP does get the wrong impression. Connectivity failover is not a completely seamless event as far as trading is concerned. Applies to all applications, non-trading applications included that require log-in.

10. Vista

Vista

Here's some products from Peplink.
    http://www.peplink.com/balance/tech-spec/

Since I'm not familiar with the terminology, I'm not sure if its load balancing algorithms or cable/dsl optimization that I'm looking for. Optimally, I would like to have a system that uses both cable and DSL, rather than an either/or Dual Wan system. Does this make sense? I apologize for the confusion.

It looks like in the Peplink models chart you have to use the $845 model to get cable/dsl optimization, but again I'm not sure this is what I'm after.

#10     Feb 4, 2009