Daytraders: How much do you make?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by thetrendfollowe, Nov 11, 2007.

Daytraders: How much do you make?

1. I trade discretionary and make <$1000 per week

55 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. I trade discretionary and make $1000-2000 per week

27 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. I trade discretionary and make $2000-5000 per week

25 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. I trade discretionary and make $5000-10k per week

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I trade discretionary and make $10k+ per week

19 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. I trade mechanically and make <$1000 per week

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. I trade mechanically and make $1000-2000 per week

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. I trade mechanically and make $2000-5000 per week

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. I trade mechanically and make $5000-10k per week

8 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. I trade mechanically and make $10k+ per week

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of adding an intraday system to my longterm trend following system.

But first I want to find out if it would be worth my time (the design and development process)

This poll is for daytraders only.
    Those that trade using bars with a shorter periodicity than daily.
    eg. from hourly bars all the way down to tick.

Mechanical systems traders are those that trade using a system that can be (and probably has been) backtested.

Discretionary traders are all other types of trades.

Thank you.

Nizar.

2. You won't find this out with this poll. You're asking for absolute dollar gains.. worthless information without knowing account size and risk taken (drawdowns, std. dev. of returns) by the traders.

3. One step at a time, my friend.

4. He is correct. Polling to see what people do is one thing. Seeing if it is worthwhile for YOU without this poster's suggestions is pointless. If you disembody returns from risk/metrics, you are not really learning anything. And many people tend to exaggerate,

5. Polling how much one makes is USELESS! It only serves to give you false hope and naive motivation. You needed to poll for average percentage made per week over a long time frame and then cut it in half to get the real numbers to weed out the bullsh$?@t! LOL.

6. le140

le140

I think we dont need a poll, go to P/L profits thread and count the profitable traders on a daily basis and divided by the number of members here. You will get an idea LOL

Now double/triple or even times ten that ratio to take into account the supper traders that dont bother to post in the P/L n you still have a very low ratio.

Too bad some newbees could not figure this out and still jump in. But then again where would the profits of the five to ten percnet of the profitables traders come from???

7. They're correct.

Polling for what people make really is a bit much.

If you want to know what traders make, do the work and complile the information listed in the Elite Trader PnL's.

That will give you a much more accurate version of what people actually make than some poll.

JJ

8. ... and the answer to this statement which is posed as a question is in the statement/question itself.

If you can design a mechancial profitable intra-day system, by definition, it's worth it. :D

OK, enough time wasted on this.

JJ

9. Thank you all for polling so far.

The results upto now have confirmed what Iv suspected.

There are not many daytraders that trade mechanically, but those that do, really clean up.

JimmyJam, do you daytrade using a mechanical system?
    If so -- PM me please, id love to discuss a few things with you.

I think as a whole mechanical traders probably outperform discretionary traders?

Hard to tell.

10. dtan1e

dtan1e

what abt a mechanical system with some discretionary at times, what does this fall under?

#10     Nov 12, 2007