Daytraders: How many shares per trade?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by inandlong, Jan 26, 2003.

1. :D :D :D

shares...sorry...im thinking of dinner

#11     Jan 27, 2003
  2. 100-5000 shares. Next irrelevant question please...

#12     Jan 27, 2003
  3. I can't speak for anyone else, but I did a recent analyses of my trading and found that I tend to lose money more often when I trade between 500 and 300 share lots. I'm sure it's more psychological than anything, but the choppiness of the market tends to shake me out more than usual, and I've tried to compensate for that by setting my stops a little wider. What I have found is that 200 share lots tend to be the optimum amount for me. I just find it easier to take a stop loss with that position.

I've also tried trading 100 share lots, but I find it very difficult to make any money since decimals went in effect. With the penny spreads, if I get a .25 move, I'm doing great, and if I get a .50 move, that's a homerun.

I'm not saying that everyone should do this--I'm only saying that it's working for me. Regardless of your trading style, I think the recent market conditions has caused most traders to have to re-think their systems; and, for me, this is just my way of adapting to what the market is giving.

#13     Jan 27, 2003
  4. In fact, one of the subscription websites uses 200 shares per trade. They are happy to hit singles and doubles to win the game vs counting on home runs.

Nice idea stockerup.

#14     Jan 27, 2003
  5. i never show you guys more than 200sh at a time, anyway, so what's the friggin' difference??

#15     Jan 27, 2003
  6. I don't understand the question.

#16     Jan 27, 2003
  7. I do opening orders in odd lots usually 130 shares, the fills are soo much better than in even lots.:D
    inmate451

truly irrelevant, when opportunity knocks you had better be there!(with a even lot order of course):) :)

#17     Jan 27, 2003
  8. bmwstox

bmwstox

My average trading size is about 500 shares.

#18     Jan 28, 2003