Daytrader lifestyle =boring

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, May 13, 2010.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Boredom is there only if you allow it IMO. If you can concentrate on your trading with external 'noise' then listen to some good live stuff from Wolfgang's Vault or set up stuff you like on Pandora if you like music.

#31     May 15, 2010
  2. Music definitely helps. And I have weights/workout equipment in my trading office that I use during slow periods. But I find my mind wandering and find myself wishing I was spending time with my family or playing golf or wanting to be doing something else. I'm not complaining. I consider myself to be a very lucky guy. I have a way to make an excellent living and support my family which is a lot more than most people in this world. I simply accept the fact that trading isn't very exciting for me anymore like it was a decade ago.

#32     May 15, 2010
  3. loza

loza Guest

Now why do you assume he failed? Maybe he trades smarter and better than the average "day trader"...after all you are all gamblers with illusion that you know the way to fast riches with small amount of capital. I presume this guy has more money than you'll ever see. and he has you "number"....

#33     May 16, 2010
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Uhhh, try checking his posting history and his numerous threads started regarding "traders are losers" and so on.

Any financial investment is a gamble from buying a house to investing in stocks to backing a business venture. So am I am gambler? Maybe so; but one who understands risk-reward. You don't make it almost 15 years trading being a gambler without also being disciplined. And if you'd read my prior post -- I am not (or was not) after "fast riches". As far as him having more $$$ than I'll ever see ... LOL. Why do you think I can take time off each week to work with underprivileged kids?

#34     May 16, 2010
  5. Cheese

Cheese

No offence to those on this thread if making good money, but boredom tells you one thing. You are underusing what the daily markets offer.

A volatile market (eg CL) offers huge points per day. You have to be attentive and focussed. The smaller price gyrations within the larger is price telling you what its doing. And time tends to go quickly when you mind remains concentrated.

The money is in the gyrations. Bottom line, making yourself rich is a choice.
    :)

#35     May 16, 2010
  6. igor043

igor043

My wife (and friends) also are away at work. Trading can get boring depending on your trading style. I day and swing trade, but rarely more than couple of trades a week with are automated. Lot of free time to golf, exercise, bike, hike, fish, yard work, etc. Haven't found a trading group in my area which would be great. May want to develop a schedule of hobbies if your trading style allows you to be away from the computer.

#36     May 16, 2010
  7. Why do you assume a small amount of capital? Why do you assume he hasn't failed? Why do I assume that you haven't read any of that guy's other melancholy posts? Why do I assume that you've never earned a profit from trading even a baseball card? You presume he has? No. You mean you assume he has.

I guess I'm responding to you not because I care about anything that you said (you really didn't say anything), but moreso because I am intrigued by what could possibly provoke you to defend someone that you do not know, on grounds that you cannot confirm, for no apparent reason other than just to do so...

#37     May 16, 2010
  8. FunMan

FunMan

rarely get bored:p

#38     May 18, 2010
  9. wolfab82

wolfab82

AMEN. Only i prefer the russell and dow and even nq 100 futures.

Congrats on retiring bat1. i suggest video games with alert sounds near pivots, or key price points. that way when u hear, DING!, you can go back to the charts.

i like leaving alerts at intraday extremes. playing call of duty got played out, facebook is wack now, so i suggest getting emulators like Znes and play super nintendo.

juvenile? yes. but its better than trading out of boredom, thats always a quick way to lose money.

be patient, read about richard dennis, great inspiration that guy. he would sit for days waiting for an entry.

also, strongly consider trading futures. good luck!

#39     May 18, 2010
  10. Boring, eh? I'll take boring. I enjoy being a drone, watching charts, pushing buttons, by myself, for the following reasons:

1. I control my income/destiny, within the parameters of what the market offers on an intraday basis.

2. I don't have to commute.

3. I don't have to listen to annoying office gossip and deal with politics of working for a company.

4. I can take vacations/time off anytime I want.

5. I can take bathroom breaks whenever I want, and don't have to stress about taking a dump in a public restroom!

:D

#40     May 18, 2010