Daytrader lifestyle =boring

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bat1, May 13, 2010.

1. bat1

bat1

I retired from the Military in Jan 2010

So I got into trading Nasdaq Stocks

I been doing OK however it get boring and lonely at times
    when wife is away at work.

I would like to know how you guys beat the boredom
    and looking at the walls day to day :p

2. Boredom is better than stress. You must have had a good time in the military ...

3. emg

emg

day trade ES

4. you should be used to it. isnt the military all about hurry up and wait?

5. Daytrading is a lonely, boring job.

But what are my alternatives?
    -- Work for someone else?
    -- Make a lot less money?
    -- Have a shitty boss or unreliable employees to worry about?

Truth is, the alternatives suck.

6. Matcha

Matcha

You can trade and travel all over the world.
    At least that's my goal~~

7. bespoke

bespoke

95% of the time i'm watching tv or browsing the web. recently i bought a ps3 and have been playing COD MW2. it's sad but i've already logged in 13 days of playing time.... thats 312 hours...

anyone can add me as a friend if you like playing during the trading day, username 'milddownsyndrome'

but if i sit at the computer i tend to interfere with my systems, overtrade or revenge trade so it has definitely saved me money

8. Daytrading is not the only way to trade. I do short term trading (average 3-4 days) entering orders overnight with little to no need to followup during the trading day as well as some longer term trades that I only update weekly. I invested time in the strategy research, but not much is needed for the execution. I am making enough money this way to live off of, but some of it is not available (IRA) and I'm looking for more of a cushion so I'm still at a full time job. I would still prefer day trading to my job, I just don't think I have the time, skill, and patience for it.

9. How are you entering orders overnight? Entering them as a limit order and leaving your broker platform running while you are away?

I would worry about crappy fills otherwise...

10. Occassionally I do get crappy fills, I got one today - still it was at my limit. More often I get filled better than my limit and of course much of the time right at my limit. Once my order is placed with the broker it doesn't matter whether I have my platform running or not, and I always use limit orders.

#10     May 13, 2010