Daytrade Brent vs Daytrade Crude Futures: which is better and why?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by increasenow, May 7, 2008.

1. both Brent and Crude Oil futures have the same tick and point value...(both large and not mini contracts)...I.E....for both, a Buy move from $118.00 to $119.00 = $1,000.00 profit in both...what is the deciding difference to trade one over the other?...the only thing I can think is that to daytrade Brent is lower daytrade margin of $2,500 as opposed to Crude daytrade margin of $3,300...volume is slightly larger on Crude...any thoughts?

2. Which one has the best spreads during european hours ?

3. Is about quality, Brent blend is a light crude oil, though not as light as West Texas Intermediate (WTI). It contains approximately 0.37% of sulfur, classifying it as sweet crude, yet again not as sweet as WTI. Brent is ideal for production of gasoline and middle distillates. Normally, Brent crude costs $1-$2 less than WTI crude.

If you want to trade the brent/wti spread at ICE you should pay attention to the world freight rates. crude-oil prices usually depend on two things: quality and location, The greater the distance from the major exporters, the greater the price. Brent has traded at discount to similar crude in the U.S. because oil from the Middle East or Africa costs less to ship to Europe than it does to the U.S.

4. I would seriously consider trading the Brent Oil future...it is in the 'middle' daytrade margin wise and has the SAME tick/point value as the CL...

daytrade margins:

mini crude: $1,650
    Crude: $3,300
    Brent: $2,500

the day range of Brent and Crude is the same and the volume average is this:

Brent: 233K
    Crude: 484K...
    both the same tick/point value...

5. dstod

dstod

I've been trading CL recently, what are symbols for mini crude and Brent?

Thank you in advance.

6. dstod

dstod

Just found them, QM and BZ

Each contract on CL is worth $1000 a pt- how much is each contract on QM worth?

7. CL $1,000 per point
    BZ $1,000 per point
    QM $500 per point

do you like the CL only?...I like Brent because the daytrade margin is less...CL daytrade margin $3,300 and BZ daytrade margin $2,500...QM daytrade margin $1,650 but need twice the ticks to make the same amount in the CL or BZ...what is your CL daytrade margin may I ask?

8. dstod

dstod

According to IB, my initial intraday initial margin for CL is 7763 and 4388 for QM. Can't find what it is for BZ.

That seems quite high. Who do you use for futures trading?

9. does anyone know the avg volume for the QM?? . I think people trade the larger contracts due to the liquidity in the market.

10. www.globalfutures.com is great!!!!!!!!!

#10     May 7, 2008