Daylight Savings changes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by grivas, Feb 6, 2007.

Will the Daylight Savings rule changes be a big deal?

1. No. Software developers knew about this since 2005 and will have fixes readily available.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes. There are a ton of old platforms and applications out there that will not be ready for this.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I had no idea this was happening and I can't evaluate any impact.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Daylight savings is irrelevant.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. grivas

grivas

As you're probably aware, Daylight Savings rule changes go into effect this year which will impact a great many systems that automate the DST adjustment. While a lot of the necessary improvements will be easy to implement, potentially there will be some systems that rely upon built-in rules to sift through time/date sensitive historical data for which new and fairly sophisticated logic will have to be created.

Does anyone think that this will be another Y2K-much ado about nothing, or a mini cataclysm in the making whose effects might not manifest themselves for years?

Do you think that this will have an impact specifically in the trading community? Do you think this will cause any sort of blip in the market itself?

I guess as a sidebar, do you think that daylight savings time has any relevance if you're not raising crops or animals? I always thought the two "Last Call's" in October were cute, though in some years I'd get stuck with a 23 hour birthday (though with the new rules that won't happen anymore).