day7793 read please

Discussion in 'Options' started by CoveredCalls5, Sep 20, 2007.

1. If you're already w**king two jobs, don't even invest in something that requires you to check every day. You don't have time, or likely patience, for that. Buy some common shares of companies you think are undervalued, pay for those shares in full, and forget you own them for a couple years.

You can't trade options in a $10k account while w**king two jobs. It's just not realistic. If you really must write calls, be comfortable checking them only every week or so. You can't make adjustments after the closing bell anyway, even if the thing does move against you. So don't bother and don't lose sleep over it.

Besides, you're clearing $2k a month from your second job. If I had a $10k portfolio that grew by $2k a month, I'd be freaking thrilled. Put it somewhere safe and liquid.

#11     Sep 20, 2007
  2. tvgram

tvgram

I LIked this current article i saw on marketwatch. This familiar with the Hulbert financial digest knows that he follows hundreds of newsletters, advisories, etc. and tracks their returns over the long term. The article is at:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...x?guid={FF13569C-4E08-49CC-A0D0-2ECF8CA6A0F2}

But just a couple choice parts from it:

More than 20 years of monitoring investment letter performance has convinced Mark Hulbert and me that it's essentially impossible to get annual returns above 25%-30% compounded on any consistent basis. (That's a lot, by the way.)

Full disclosure: Of course, that's completely contrary to the theory implicit behind the contemporaneous phenomenon of hedge funds. They are widely supposed to get returns well above that, and they charge for it, evidenced by the huge houses their managers are building all over Greenwich, Conn.

Of course he then goes on to ask: Where are the customers' chateaux?

#12     Sep 20, 2007
  3. And he did NOT have sex with that woman! :p

#13     Sep 20, 2007
  4. That one, I believe.

#14     Sep 21, 2007
  5. That is one shred of truth! LOL :D

#15     Sep 21, 2007

6. So your actually suggesting that I do conservative stocks then rather then Options? Is this what your saying? Or do I have a misunderstanding about Options that I only need to check them once a week? Because I will be stuck in them anyways? If that is true then that is even better for me. I don't mind checking whats going on every day on my account, I have lots of patience and self-control. Very disciplined character here.

But if you are suggesting to just trade conservative stocks then I am better off going on swing trades and doing 2-6 week trades. I only have to check them once a day when market closes and re-adjust my stops and stuff. Any Opinions here?

#16     Sep 21, 2007
  7. Why would you be thrilled? And what could I expect from putting in 1-2k a month on a 10k portfolio in somewhere safe and liquid? Your referring to conservative stocks right?

#17     Sep 21, 2007
  8. CC5, I think you're missing commiebat's point. He would be thrilled to make $2k a month on a $10k account - that represents a 20% a month return. The only difference is in how you make the $2k. You can either do it by 'earning' it in a job (very very very low risk) or try making it by trading options/stock (very high risk).
    In summary, if you add $2k/month to your ($10k) account you would have at least $34k at the end of the year, not counting your interest compounding. Very nice return indeed and no risk.
    Good luck.
    db

#18     Sep 23, 2007
  9. haha well thats the whole point, I want to work 2 jobs to get a portfolio going to not have to work anymore.... FREEDOM! haha, you all probably know how I feel. Hmm... What I am working on now is diversifying my portfolio, cc's, trading options, swing trades, and doing shorts. I think thats where I am missing it.

#19     Sep 23, 2007