Day trading vs swing trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rkl, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Technically, it's the same or similar, yes.

But if you're swing trading, you can study charts while the markets are closed and pre-plan your decision without any pressure or need to act fast.

Day trading is a completely different animal since the market is moving in real-time and you need to act fast. That obviously affects the decision making process.

Of course, one could argue that with a solid trade plan that is thoroughly backtested, the gap between the two types of trading is reduced.

Still, there's a difference though.

#11     Oct 19, 2013
  2. I'm a 'failed' day trader on my first two attempts and had decided to possibly leave day trading behind for good, but I think I will give it one more shot.

If you're an excellent day trader, you can earn more than a swing trader.

However, for the average guy, it's very unlikely that you will ever get that good. You also need to be glued to the screens, unless you're able to automate your system.

Swing trading can be done while having a 'normal' life, you're not dependent on being glued to the screens and I would say it's generally easier to accomplish.

Of course, it's not easy though.

I would never recommend day trading to anyone. Not even trading. But if anyone wants to give it a shot, I think starting with swing trading is the best way. When you one day earn as much from swing trading that you can justify quitting your job or whatever, then you have 'made it'.

Until you get there, it's more or less a pipe dream.

Good luck.

#12     Oct 19, 2013
  3. Frequency of bar plotting and risk, that's all the difference there is; it's all the same but I'm not here to convince anyone on how simple it really is.

#13     Oct 19, 2013
  4. Yes, but the frequency of bar plotting do make a difference.

It's like being in a street fight with no time to think compared to playing chess where you can take your time before making a move.

#14     Oct 19, 2013
  5. Yes, obviously, but that's why you do your homework before you go to work and practice, years and years of practice.

#15     Oct 19, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

+1 Good points

#16     Oct 19, 2013
  7. Find a style that matches your personality.. Of course market conditions can change profitability of any system among various things.

#17     Oct 19, 2013
  8. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

However, for the average guy, it's very unlikely that you will ever get that good. You also need to be glued to the screens, unless you're able to automate your system.

For the "average guy" what's the difference between "glued to the screens" versus pencil pushing, waiting tables, working on engines, repairing roads, selling insurance, stocking shelves, building cabinets, IT, or any other "normal life" job? Take it one step further, what does it take to excel or be expert in a "normal life" job?

My friend, you will not achieve the success you "pipe dream" about, no matter how many shots you give it. You have way too many ill-perceived, preconceived notions. Sorry.

#18     Oct 19, 2013
  9. For the average guy, the difference between being glued to the screens and the jobs you mentioned is that even mediocre performance on average or bad days at work still gives you a steady paycheck. A day trader have little to none margin of error and needs to perform at peak levels all the time.

In order to excel in a normal life job, I'd say you need a combination of dedication, interest and possibly talent.

Another huge difference between succeeding in any other profession and trading is that the knowledge and the 'what to do' is usually public knowledge. There's no such thing in trading. Half the work is just getting started and learning what to focus on.

I may very well not succeed as a day trader, I'm well aware of that, having spent thousands of hours glued to the screens both live and backtesting data. I know what I'm up against and it's a different picture than the snake oil vendors are painting.

But maybe you disagree?

#19     Oct 19, 2013
  10. NoDoji

NoDoji

Profitable day trading requires a huge amount of R&D, business plan development and focus/concentration (glued to the screens, so to speak). More importantly it involves recognizing situations for which you prepared and making very quick decisions based on that, usually several times a day. Finally, it involves operating with trust and confidence in an environment of total uncertainty with regard to the outcome of each individual trade.

Because of this, I compare day trading to military action and professionals sports. Both require intensive training and preparation, the ability to recognize situations for which you've prepared, and the ability to make quick decisions based on that.

Both also involve trusting that the outcome of a series of battles/games will be positive, despite individual losses, as long as the preparation, focus and execution are top notch.

For those with certain basic talents who are willing to do tedious groundwork and function well under pressure in an environment of constant risk and uncertainty, the payoff may be worth it.

#20     Oct 19, 2013