Day Trading Thoughts For Thurs. Apr. 30

Discussion in 'Trading' started by erikrkolodny, Apr 30, 2009.

1. erikrkolodny

erikrkolodny ET Sponsor

I am at an age now (aka old) that I begin noticing more subtle things. I can differentiate between the cries of my infant daughter. I know when I ask my wife what is wrong and she says “nothing,” I can tell exactly how serious she is in the intonation. I know when my car is not acting right. But I am also that much more of a ‘listener’ to the markets. I preach all the time that we as traders should let the markets tell us how to trade rather than make our own guesswork and we got a subtle yet high-pitched squeal yesterday morning…certainly for a day trade. I even mentioned it briefly in yesterday’s market comment piece. The latest GDP report came out much worse than expected. In English, the economy is doing even worse than the wise economists opined when asked to give their estimates to services such as Dow Jones and Reuters. When a terrible economic number comes out, one would expect the market to fall. Indeed, S&P futures fell a couple or three handles when the GDP number was released, but within two minutes, all the ground had been regained and the market was even higher. That signaled to me that the news was already in the market plus if the market could not go down on that horrible piece of news, my trading for the day would be focused to the long side- and that is exactly what I did. I did not try to guess why the market performed as it did; I just went with it. So, as I try to improve on this facet of my trading performance on a daily basis, the daily epiphany is two-fold: 1) the tone of the market is very strong right now. It can change at a moment’s notice of course, but wow- yesterday was impressive. 2) Pay attention to what the market is telling you. Know the newsflow and have a rudimentary understanding of major events like economic reports; by doing so, one can actually earn a day’s pay trading equities.

Foreign markets soared overnight on the heels of Wall Street’s rally yesterday. Markets throughout Asia were up 3% to 4% across the board while prices in Europe are up 2% to 3%. There seems to be no real catalyst for the rally other than an increasing belief that the banking system is going to survive this financial crisis. Futures are sharply higher again and there just isn’t any real reason to see this changing as we approach some pretty big numbers on the S&P chart. Short covering is in vogue and that is that right now. Look for a continued upside day on the busiest earnings day of the season. It will likely be a bit calmer than yesterday; use banks as your benchmark, but it seems like the firm tone is going to hold ahead of Monday’s stress test results release.

Reiterating-
    Please understand that if the ideas do not get to the hoped for set-ups cited below, more often than not, one should not blindly trade the symbol next to said idea.
    If the whole story is not there -
    If something is good, assume either a short thru unchanged or an A-B-A2 (preferably to the downside in a downside market and the upside in an upside market) based on direction of the market unless specifiedIf something is bad, assume either a buy thru unchanged or an A-B-A2 (preferably to the downside in a downside market and the upside in an upside market) based on direction of the market unless specified-

Good- The following stocks have good news and/or a strong technical pattern

MGM- received a reprieve for its CityCenter deal in restructuring debt; LVS and WYNN may move with it

F,GM- rumors after the close that teh government may utilize TARP money to buy equity or debt stakes in the automakers

AKAM- good earnings

TRIB closed on a high

SRZ- closed on a high

NFP –closed near a high

PNRA- on “Mad Money”

TWC- closed on a high after posting good earnings

FSLR- great earnings

CTXS- good earnings

GMR- great earnings

OI- great earnings

TRN-great earnings

VARI- great earnings

GMCR- terrific earnings

FLS- great earnings

CCI- good earnings

AMKR good earnings

ARRS- good earnings

SKX- great earnings

TTEK- good earnings

ORLY- decent earnings

WYN- closed near a high

AMG- closed near a high after posting great earnings

CELG- good earnings

CLI- good earnings
    DOW- great earnings

HOT- good earnings

MOT- good earnings

NWL- good earnings

PCX- good earnings

PG- good earnings

TNDM- good earnings

TYC- good earnings

WPI- good earnings

ASH- good earnings

CL- good earnings

IP- good earnings

NRG- good earnings

Bad-The following stocks have bad news and/or a weak technical pattern

SQNM- company indicated researchers falsified documentation on its lead drug

V- beat earnings, but volume growth slowed; MA may move with it

URI- terrible earnings

JDSU- terrible guidance

CVD- poor earnings

ITRI- terrible earnings

CBL- bad earnings

NTRI- poor earnings

FTI- bad earnings

AIZ- bad earnings

VAR- bad earnings

HAR- poor earnings

RYL- bad earnings