Day Trading the Forex

Discussion in 'Forex' started by showtime23, Mar 28, 2003.

1. but are the futures and spot forex the same, from a backtesting perspective? for one, forex doesn't gap.

#11     May 3, 2003
  2. Pabst

Pabst

The symbol on IB is EUR.

#12     May 3, 2003
  3. Berliner

Berliner

The spread is okay, although I don't recommend to scalp the currency futures. There's a tendency to accelerate the trend after 0830 CT, due to NY, and if you get it right with some more leverage (I do 6 to 8 contracts), there is a $1000 win during the first hours, let's call it a day. Just be careful for those violent reversals which can be costly (let's call it a day again?)

If you need to think youre riding a position after initiating a daytrade, you can hold on, because Globex IMM is a 24hour market as well. (Only spreads are much wider during night session)

Berliner

#13     May 4, 2003
  4. Berliner

Berliner

but are the futures and spot forex the same, from a backtesting perspective? for one, forex doesn't gap.
    [/QUOTE]

There is constantly arbitrage going on between IMM and Forex. If you adjust your fx charts to lets say RTH IMM (0720-1400 CT), you should get basically the same patterns (not numbers of course). Stick to the volume times. (London and east coast).

Berliner

#14     May 4, 2003
  5. Corso,

Great question. I have the same question. The problem for us TS 6.0+ users out there is that TS (for some reason!?) doesn't provide a spot-market data feed for currencies. All we have is the Globex...so until TS provides it we need to 1.) either use GLOBEX data to backtest systems or 2.) Use WealthLab....

So, are the Globex markets fair comparables?

#15     May 4, 2003