Day Trading is a Powerful Addiction

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by NY_HOOD, May 30, 2018.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

as a day trader, do you constantly tell yourself addiction is just another word for “passion” or addiction is just another term for “hard work?”

Do you constantly tell yourself losing money while trading is a learning experience?

Or losing a lot of money on a specific day trade was the “ best thing that ever happened” because you now finally learned to stick to your disciplne?

How about losing money day trading is supposed to happen just like any other business you start, the first few years are always a loss? What business causes losses of 10k in just one day or even more?

Are you using credit card checks to fund your trading account or use credit card checks or borrowed money to cover margin calls?

Do you do really well for a specific month or week and then use that rare positive experience to convince yourself, “ if i made money then, i should be able to always make money trading?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Millionaire likes this.
  2. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Do you want to make one last trade just to recoup losses and then retire from trading?

Do you hold on to a really bad daytrade and convince yourself its now an investment that you will hold because it will eventually pay off big?

Do you constantly find yourself on the computer searching for reasons as to why your stock went the wrong way and spend a lot of time on message boards looking for words of encouragement?

When you take a big loss do you just claim its “ market manipulation just so the big boys can buy your wonderful stock at better prices” and then use that as an excuse to hold a bad trade?

Do you withdraw from friends, family, or other activities because you on on your computer looking at charts and other info in order to figure out why your trade went bad? Do You justify this by saying its actually work and you are just very focused? Do you get depressed and claim every business has ups and downs?

Do you take a big loss and then just make a very small amount back and then claim you are done trying for homeruns and now finally reallize its all about “ hitting singles” just like a good hitter in baseball?

Remember, you can lose everything day trading. Even las vags doesnt give 10-1 margin.
    Do any of you actually have gambling addictions and use some of the excuses outlined above?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    comagnum and TreeFrogTrader like this.
  3. speedo

speedo

No, thanks for asking.

Baglan, bone, WeToddDid2 and 3 others like this.
  4. Day trading (or any kind of trading) offers the allure of, "if I can just get a handle on it, I can make big money without working all that hard". Reality... it's more like trying to grab a greased eel.

birdman likes this.
  5. Everything is addiction

bpr likes this.
  6. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Well said .,

7. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Not true. My brother is an engineer, loves it, does well but is not addicted to his engineering job.

8. You just think he isn`t.You can hate your job but then your addicted to its byproduct - lifestyle.Volens nolens, we are gonna find something that grabs you.

9. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

Finally, do you tell yourself you know a guy who stopped trading stocks and is now making a killing trading currencies( forex)? You are basically going from black jack to roulette , one gamble to another.

10. ElCubano

ElCubano

negative. Only when it becomes disruptive to the balance in your life. On your death bed you will realize if this was in fact an addiction because you cant lie to that mirror.

#10     May 30, 2018