Day trading and taxes?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by kmkkra, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Very simple question: If you could make 200k even though it might be taxed at a 50% rate thus leaving you with 100k a year or you could keep making your 20k/yr TAXFREE...which would you do?

My point is make the money first then worry about the taxes.

#11     Apr 13, 2008
  2. If googling a simple tax question would cause you ANY anxiety, I seriously doubt trading is for you.

#12     Apr 19, 2008
  3. lindq

lindq

The IRS doesn't care if you are considered a pattern day trader, a swing trader, whatever. That's an issue for your broker.

The issue of a lesser tax is entirely related to your ability to file with the IRS as a "Trader in Securities". If you can, then your income is not considered "earned income", and you pay no self employment tax or social security tax. And that's a large tax savings. But to gain this status you need to prove that (1) You trade frequently, and (2) It is your primary source of income.

However, if your income is mainly derived from a source other than trading, the frequency of your trades (other than the usual short or long term cap gain tax rates) has no impact on your taxes. It is simply capital gains, and you pay the appropriate tax on capital gains along with your regular earned income from employment.

#13     Apr 19, 2008
  4. Beebers

Beebers

Well, it depends on what you are trading. Futures are taxed differently than stocks (schedule 1256 vs. schedule D I believe - sorry, I had some sake ....).

In any case, you are also touching upon the subject of passive income (investment income) versus a business such as day trading (as a business).

I think IB had a seminar on it (which is in its archives, or maybe the CME in its educational section - check into it) - very illuminating.

Good luck

#14     Apr 19, 2008
  5. has anybody with a day job been successful in getting "Trader status"? If the income is 50/50 trading/W-2, will IRS agree to Trader status? 25/75 trading/W-2? I assume that the demand on trading frequently is met ($50M short-term trades per year, trading pretty much everyday).

#15     Apr 19, 2008
  6. Bob111

Bob111

:confused: :confused: :confused:

who told you , that you have to pay self employment tax? or soc.sec tax if you day trade?

show me a "large tax savings" difference between filing as a "trader" and married average joe,filing jointly(if you spouse work and you trade)

#16     Apr 19, 2008
  7. yea i'll second the other poster.

Both sch D (non trader status) and doing a 4797 (trader status) are not 'earned income'. You pay self employment tax on neither.

The benefit of trader status has to do with the ability to:

1) treat your trading expenses (computer, internet line, subscriptions, research, etc) as expenses on your schedule C.

2) being able to carryback or carry forward trading losses with no concern of arbitrary 3K/year loss limitations that pertain to schedule D filing instead.

#17     Apr 19, 2008
  8. hughb

hughb

Ah, now this is the info I've been trying to confirm.

Are you guys sure that a person with trader status from the IRS pays no social security taxes? I didn't find that on the IRS website the last time I looked. Any links to their site would be appreciated.

#18     Apr 19, 2008
  9. Bob111

Bob111

i'm sure that average joe in example above pays no soc.sec taxes..only thing i know about trader status(talk about it here long time ago) that you are 99% audit guarantee. so -go head, deduct 10-15-20K in computer\internet expenses..

#19     Apr 19, 2008
  10. hughb

hughb

Make no mistake - I do not daytrade and am not seeking trader status from the IRS. I've always had the opinion that someone with trader status would be forced to pay social security, medicare, etc. It looks like I was wrong.

#20     Apr 19, 2008