Day trading and Sharpe Ratio

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SabreMan, Jul 7, 2018.

1. southall

southall

The first case would not have slowed the robot down in any way.
    It is not difficult for a computer to read the faces of the cube without error. They are very simple coloured squares. And optimal software solving algorithms for the cube were also developed decades ago.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    #41     Jul 9, 2018
  2. ironchef

ironchef

I always wondered about and tried to understand Sharpe. Those who has an edge in trading usually has higher upside than downside, so of those you mentioned, which metric is a better measure?

Thanks.

#42     Jul 11, 2018
  3. ironchef

ironchef

Is that sufficient to know whether my system truly has an edge over buy and hold an index like SPY?

A hypothetical question: If my return is 2x SPY, my drawdown is 2x SPY my time to recover is the same, do I have an edge?

#43     Jul 11, 2018
  4. schweiz

schweiz

You should analyze these figures and find the answer yourself. For me it is not a (good enough) edge. I think you need better ratio's.

My return is a multiple of my drawdown and my recovery time is less than 48 hours. As long as it stays like that I only watch: return, drawdown and recovery time.
    Given my real ratio's I don't need any other proof of having an edge.

The first warning signal would be the evolution of my account in$$$. Then I would watch avg win vs avg loss, win/loss ratio, evolution open P/L...

A hypothetical question for you: If my return is 10x SPY, my drawdown is 1x SPY, and my time to recover is less than 3 days, do I have an edge?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    #44     Jul 12, 2018
  5. ironchef

ironchef

Then you would become a very wealthy trader in a short time!

I thank you for the response. It is a quick way of keeping score for a short term trader.

On second thought, perhaps not a sufficient gauge for long term investors selecting securities for multi-decade buy and hold as I could select, in backtest, different securities with the same three numbers but very different risk profiles.

#45     Jul 12, 2018
  6. schweiz

schweiz

Daytrading is a completely different game from LT trading/investing for most people.

Out of curiosity I tested my daytrading system on trading stocks on longer terms in past. It did not perform bad, although the test was not extensive enough to make any serious conclusions.

For me daytrading is at this moment all I am interested in. I never have to watch any positions overnight, and returns are much higher, so that I can skip days, weeks or even months if I don't want to trade.

#46     Jul 14, 2018
    birdman, ironchef and Xela like this.
  7. southall

southall

Is that statement hypothetical or are you really claiming you never have a drawdown longer than 2 or 3 days?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    #47     Jul 14, 2018
  8. schweiz

schweiz

I have no drawdowns that last over 48 hours.
    I am daytrading and after a losing trade (which is normally less than 3 points ES as that is my stop) I switch automatically to 1-3 point take profits. I did not have 2 consecutive 3 point stops in a row for several years. Most of the time I manage to recover within 24 hours.

#48     Jul 14, 2018
    CSEtrader and Xela like this.
  9. southall

southall

It sounds like you average down or have a martingale strategy.

#49     Jul 14, 2018
  10. Xela

Xela

Really? It doesn't sound that way at all, to me.

To me it just sounds "normal-to-good" for someone making their living by doing fast-ish intraday trading, with multiple trades per day. (I have no idea whether that's what Schweiz is actually doing - that's just how it sounds, to me.)

I also can't remember the last time I had a drawdown that lasted over 48 hours, and there's nothing particularly clever or difficult about the way I trade: I just have a genuine edge combined with a decently high win-rate (together, in my case, with a significant proportion of trades that either break even or more commonly make a tick or two in profit, which I consider a "break-even" to all intents and purposes), and I trade very frequently, by general standards.

#50     Jul 14, 2018
    trader99, Lukas V and CSEtrader like this.