Day Trading $30,000

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bradberkobien, Oct 8, 2019.

1. slvrrisc

slvrrisc

Was that a single trade investment on a single stock in a month? It's a good result for a month if on a single stock, but far from being able to trade for a living even with 30k. You would have to find out your % wl/l rate over multiple stock trades and see if you can cover losses and commissions monthly and then trying to eventually stay to risking 2% per trade for the long haul. if you can keep a day job, all the better so maybe best to do the trading just for extra change and live practice risking a small % for a year or so. Or you could go for futures trading with a lot less hassle, especially on the micro-futures with 30k if you can get good fundamentally timing or technical or chart trading chosen (micro) index or commodity futures.

I don't know, selling options like that always seems to have a few major problems: 1) awful ratio of margin required for so little % gain. 2) losses are much worse than the possible gain i.e. like what happened to James Cordier, 3) very low volume or lack of bid/ask available on selling options that far out especially options on futures. So I gave up on the whole idea (& trying to be delta-neutral as 30k can get depleted fast on even just a few successive losing spreads) a long ways back.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    #51     Oct 10, 2019
    comagnum likes this.
  2. so you win a lottery. now you want to play the lottery for a living :cool:

#52     Oct 10, 2019
    bradberkobien likes this.
  3. easymon1

easymon1

mr scatmeister
    do you find the es to be as big a spaz as the nq can be eg. when those &*#%^@&@#$& tweets come outta left field so to speak? es nq 2m 2019 1010 0444.png

#53     Oct 10, 2019
  4. Oh yeah. It's more important nowadays with the algos and all that we make correct technical entries and place a stop.

#54     Oct 10, 2019
  5. easymon1

easymon1

spazOmeter es vs nq 2m 2019 1010.png

#55     Oct 10, 2019
  6. ironchef

ironchef

#56     Oct 10, 2019
    Evgeniy likes this.
  7. easymon1

easymon1

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    #57     Oct 10, 2019
  8. it's not winning the lottery if you do it repeatedly. That wasn't 1 trade that was more like 15

#58     Oct 11, 2019
  9. easymon1

easymon1

" what this site needs is a good lottery thread, go for it"

#59     Oct 11, 2019
    GrowleyMonster likes this.
  10. HAH! Not a bad idea! When total sales are less than the actual jackpot cash amount, buying a ticket is actually a GOOD bet, not a bad one, mathematically speaking anyway. If the jackpot was a recordsetting 1Bn and total ticket sales were say .8Bn, I would actually call buying a ticket, an investment. Anyway it is an enjoyable thing to do. I buy my Powerball ticket and MegaMillions, too, more or less faithfully. Chump change for a stroke of lightning chance at the big bucks. And what you would do with the money gives you something to talk about. Me, I would certainly have a nicer boat than the two ratty old boats I have now. Property with deep water frontage. A nice floating dock. House elevated about 30' and built to stand up to a cat 5 hurricane. Airstrip and a couple of grownup planes as well as a paraglider and/or ultralight. A NICE workshop of about 10k sqft. A solid gold magic kegerator that never runs out of beer. A nice deserted island somewhere that I could populate with about a hundred cute little Thai chicks. Well, maybe GF would be against that idea.

#60     Oct 11, 2019