Day Trader Stigma in Getting into Business School?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ace_Rothstein, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Probably depends on the school you're applying to as well....

HBS may balk at the idea, but at Chicago GSB (although it's the bastion of efficient market hypothesis), they may be more sympathetic because so many are tied into trading. Then I would couch your experience in terms that describe exploiting short-term inefficiencies for the sake of a more efficient market overall, with your competitive advantage being speed and focus (assuming that's true). Also, substitute "behaviorial finance" for anything that smacks of technical analysis, and you'll have a shot.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck, where will you apply?

#11     Jul 8, 2003
  2. not surprising that you're concerned about the perceptions from Academia verses the real world, where we all live in.

Hey, you want what they've got, and you're going to have to do what they want to get what they've got.

Take a course from the Aflac Duck, and watch Yogi Berra in his comments.

"When you get hurt and can't work, then it doesn't hurt to miss work"

"And, they pay you cash, which is just as good as money"

Cheers

#12     Jul 8, 2003
  3. FinStat

FinStat

LOL :eek:

#13     Jul 8, 2003
  4. a guy from our firm is going back to school - to UNC at chapel hill.

#14     Jul 8, 2003
  5. maxpi

maxpi

Going back to school is my main goal after trading income surpasses daytime job which it should pretty soon. School for it's own sake is not a bad thing. I recall a chat with the counselor the last time I signed up for JC classes. He asked why I was going to school and I simply told him "it's better than the dollar theater".

For the resume I would not try to hide the fact that I made my dough out of the markets, I would just express it in a way that was palatable to them like "individual investor, mostly it is computerized and doesn't require my full attention" or something, not likely they are going to get down to business on what your typical holding period is. Of course I'm kind of a "play the chips where they fall" person, if some school did not like my resume I would probably not waste any further emotion, time or thought on them very much, it's a match-up you are after, after all, you should respect their opinion if you don't have a match-up.

Max

#15     Jul 8, 2003
  6. #16     Jul 8, 2003
  7. It's really ironic that 99% of the investment bank institutional "traders" ( and I am not talking "salestraders" here ) are completely unable to actually trade without the huge benefit of ORDER FLOW on their desk.

Also, with the option of hitting the NYSE floor with a program basket in the cash market to hedge their futures or options position, ( at a moments notice ) they have EVERY advantage in the world.

"Facilitating" trade on an institutional desk is not rocket-science, that's for sure!

#17     Jul 8, 2003
  8. waggie,

You're absolutely right. I'm in the middle of Liar's Poker. Lots of traders heap scorn on the institutions for their lack of skill in trading. Just a bunch of 20 year olds pushing paper. But man, with relatively little risk to make so much money, can you blame them? 5 cents a share for moving block trades they can hedge and dump. It may not be noble, but it's profitable. I can't blame them....

MYD

#18     Jul 8, 2003
  9. Are institutional traders still employed with all the cut backs and lay offs by the major firms? Do they have much to do these days?

#19     Jul 8, 2003
  10. I have seen a dozen traders come off trading desks to the up stairs screen and get smoked fast, usually the first quarter. It a different game and I am glad I did not have the privilege of working from orderflow. Learn to ride the coattail. It will show up in the volume.

#20     Jul 9, 2003