day trade question

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dtstatus, Sep 10, 2008.

1. dtstatus

dtstatus

If I bought a stock yesterday, sold it today and then bought it back and sold it again today is that considered one day trade or two?
    thanks

2. 1.5

No, actually just one. The first trade you closed was not a day trade since it spanned 2 days. Therefore the other trade was all that was left to consider.

3. dtstatus

dtstatus

thanks, but from past experience the buy back today is the first day trade counted (sold/bought same day) and then the other sell is still open. Just trying to stay under the pattern def.

4. Maybe I don't follow you correctly. Don't you have 2 closed trades, and one of them involves shares that were purchased on a separate day, so that would only leave 1 possible "daytrade"?

Edit: I do get what you're saying .. the first buy/sell or sell/buy sequence in the same day was a "sell/buy" (today: sell to close yesterday's long, buy to open new one). But after selling today's long, you would only have a problem if you bought a new long after that (i.e., to hold for tomorrow).

5. Same thinking here... I guess if the original position was opened outside of RTH, or more specifically, after the daily equity accounting takes place at HIS brokerage, it could be considered a daytrade.