Day in the Life of a Facebook Software Engineer

Discussion in 'App Development' started by fan27, Sep 16, 2019.

1. fan27

fan27

The Tech Lead does it again! I don't doubt the information he is sharing about Facebook. Think about it...Facebook is massively profitable and they can afford to have some of the dysfunction and political bent described in the video. I know from experience that when the money is rolling in and revenue is growing, a lot of stuff gets ignored. Once growth stops or significantly slows, the vibe can turn negative quickly.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    VPhantom, tommcginnis, Nobert and 4 others like this.
  2. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

You have to like this guy. His ideas are coming at you at 100 mph and he has focus and depth.

I appreciated his insight into how boring it must be to have to program for a maturing product like Face Book.

fan27 likes this.
  3. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Nice video, thanks. Basically knew that their product is boring already but the other facts were interesting (if not surprising for a large organization). His way of presenting a somewhat unusual day of an FB career is pretty hilarious in its own right.

fan27 likes this.
  4. Peter8519

Peter8519

He admitted that he is not a good trader.:cool:

fan27 likes this.
  5. 2rosy

2rosy

don't look behind the green curtain

6. fan27

fan27

Yep. Another sign of intelligence from the Tech Lead. He got spanked by the market day trading and moved on to more profitable pursuits.

7. fan27

fan27

Let's consider the Facebook for work app mentioned in the video. As was shown, it is basically a news feed filled with status updates (i.e. hey, I did this really cool thing, or check out this new document, etc.). You know the content is heavily monitored where part of your job would be making sure you are writing posts that get noticed and that you are liking and not liking the "correct" posts. I can see a manager tracking employee "Bob" and noting that he did not "Like" the post regarding the the formation of the newest diversity group of the month. That being said, I imagine for some Facebook is a dream job...especially those with liberal politics and who spend a good chunk of their time on Facebook as going to work is probably not much different from what they would be doing on their own time anyways (posting on and reading their Facebook feed).

VPhantom likes this.
  8. SteveH

SteveH

Welcome to Social Justice Warrior programming hell.

fan27 likes this.
  9. carrer

carrer

Got to love this guy's common sense.
    He is right on LGBT, women's rights advocates. Bunch of nonsense.

Turveyd likes this.
  10. destriero

destriero

I sub to his youtube channel. Guy takes ESOP and retires -> blows-up -> begrudgingly reenters workforce. His cat has autism. "I want everyone to respect me." No issues there.

Nope, I unsubbed a while ago. He's a cunt.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    #10     Sep 17, 2019
    comagnum likes this.