dax scalping

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by sides7, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sides7

sides7

futurestrader71-

thanks for the tip. i set up my mouse properly. i will give it a try. i will also try to improve my attitude and stay positive and confident, although sometimes the market makes it quite difficult to do so. every day is a new chance and i look forward to the next days puzzle.

#41     Jan 31, 2005
  2. That's great! Just remember that the biggest challenge facing most traders is longevity. As long as you have a risk plan to manage your losses during times like you are experiencing now and you continue to be diligent about research, then you will survive the rough patches to be there for when it gets better.

I wish you the best of luck.

#42     Jan 31, 2005
  3. I keep seeing this "bang for your buck" comment and I'm not sure what to make of it.

In some cases, people use this term for $-daily range per contract, e.g.

- 10 pts ($1k for 1c) on ER2,
    - 80 pts ($400 for 1c) on YM,
    - 18pts ($360 for 1) on NQ
    - 9 pts ($450 for 1c) on the ES.

For me, this metric isn't crucial, unless it goes down to a point were $-transaction costs start to really matter compared to $-range.

#43     Oct 1, 2005
  4. I would assume as hard as futures trading is
    that the "blow up " % is higher for the more volatile commodities / futures with higher margins
    and higher $ ranges ...

:eek:

#44     Oct 1, 2005
  5. omniscient

omniscient Guest

it would be interesting to see some blow-out stats on the DAX. mt just listed some commonly traded contracts and their avg daily ranges. the DAX is over 60pts on its 22-ATR, so you're looking at about $1,800 per lot. and since markets don't usually travel their entire range in a unidirectional movement, that means traders typically have several opportunities to lose several times the daily range.

i think the idea behind "bang for your buck" is that it takes fewer moves to produce the same profit results of less volatile contracts. if you are trying to capture a certain portion of the range, you can capture less and profit more in a market like the ER2 or DAX or ZB. to an extent i agree. however, i also fully understand and appreciate the opportunities those same markets offer to lose a certain portion of the daily range :)

take care :)

omni

#45     Oct 1, 2005
  6. bash

bash

I agree with you, traders should try and stay positive in tough times (Even thou that is extremely hard to do!!!!) And try to adapt to the market changes as time goes on in order to survive!!!! With the earning season approaching it seems like october could be a very interesting month!!

Does anyone know of any web sites with info on company earnings, dates, times and what's expected?? Dax, stoxx, s+p, ftse e.t.c Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!:)

#46     Oct 4, 2005
  7. stfreak

stfreak

hey guys, quite an interesting thread to read through.
    I´m also scalping the ER2 besides some other products, but I´m more into S/R - Plays then capitalizing on every move.

the problem with this approach is, if a level doesn´t hold I have to get out and slippage increases when you trade heavy size.

On an earlier post FT71 mentioned a spreadsheet. I wonder which factors are included there, perhaps it´s possible to zero delta by a hedge in an other product. Have you ever traded like this 71??

Would also be the only way for a pusher to trade large sizes. one cannot get out on 300 er2´s on one tick being on the wrong side, so a hedge would be the only way I can think of.

any suggestions??

#47     Mar 16, 2007