David Nassar Trading Live.

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by TNO-Mike, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I sat in on one of David's web casts before. It is OK. Even if you don't agree with his style, there is something to be learned from observing other successful traders. And its free. No obligation. Nobody has called me or emailed me since. Obviously, TeraNova and MarketWise are promoting their school. Even if you don't trade his methodology, most beginners really do need to get an education before they just jump in and loose everything.

Mike

#11     Apr 30, 2002
  2. TNO-Mike

TNO-Mike

In the introduction of David Nassar's latest book Rules of the Trade he says "Over the years that I have traded and trained people to trade stocks, I have come to the conclusion that some have had passion, but most do not. As
    cold and direct as that may sound, it is reality. I have been asked many times what the success rate is of students who come through our courses, as if to suggest the course is the sole solution to what traders need to know to trade successfully. I would love to tell you that our course and the education we provide is the 'Shangri-La' of your trading needs, but I would be lying to both of us. The reality is, trading success can be found only within your own personal psychology and passion you have for the market. Sure, education is critical. Sound understanding of the market and tools of the trade are imperative, but without the right attitude or willingness to form a right perspective and discipline, success will be elusive if not impossible."

MarketWise and David's message is that trading is hard work, but they believe education might be a way to shorten the learning curve. MarketWise doesn't claim their school is the answer, only a step in the right direction.

Terra Nova has an affiliation with MarketWise, because we want our clients to be successful and education can play a role in a customer's success. I audited their 4 day course in April and was impressed with both their message and the subject matter covered (they cover different trading styles including Scalping, Longer Day Trades, and Swing Trading, Order routing, the Level II, Technical Analysis and much more.)

David endorses trading the market to really learn it. Which leads back into my invitation to see David trade in a web seminar. Whether you trade on RealTick or another platform, seeing someone trading live and how they go about entering orders and how they use the tools available to them can be a valuable experience. That's why we sponsor these web seminars and many people have and will continue to both enjoy and find value in these.

MarketWise has free articles on their site and on this one, they do free real-time presentations (David’s live trading) and offer a free idea generator called Black Box. All in the effort to help people learn the trading business. As traders interested in learning, which is what ET is geared toward, these are things you should take advantage of. Once you check it out, if you choose to proceed further with a class...great. If not, that's ok as well.

See the live trading session or not - you make the call. The invitation still stands.

TNO-Mike

#12     May 1, 2002
  3. mbg

mbg

I've recently attended a course at their "school" - the 2 day technical analysis course. They somewhat hype what's supposedly working now in their course description, however, it never made it to the course. They say how to use MACD to spot divergences in the course description, and then tell you that the MACD is basically an indicator they don't like. I'm not quite sure I really learned anything new.

The course was a basic introductory course to technical analysis - if you're thinking of attending, I would save the money and just purchase a book from John Murphy - you won't learn any secrets there in Denver. But if you like to ski, I guess its a great destination.

I spoke with others in my class that attended the 4 day course that David Nassar helps teach (I understand he only covers 10-15% of the total class time, correct me if I'm wrong) - not many had great words to say - so I won't repeat them here. Let's just say they felt it wasn't worth the money - with or without the 125% reimbursement from Terranova. Since I didn't attend that class, you'd be better to ask others who did.

As for me, I attended after posting notes here in elitetrader with David when he was posting about AMGN back in March. I said at the time I was taking the technical analysis class (which he doesn't teach) but would like to get to learn some of his methods - spend a little time with him. He said sure - just e-mail him when I was coming.

I e-mailed him, told him I was coming, and never heard from him again. When I was there, he was on vacation. Thanks Dave. (if you don't believe me, go search the posts here for the AMGN thread that he started - its all there in black and white) And he told me to critique after I was done - so here it is.

All in all, it wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a total beginner - and then still, I don't think it would be money well spent - even with the 125% reimbursement - it didn't cover staying at a hotel, airfare, car rental, food, etc.

fwiw - I have attended the Webex live trading sessions with David, and he seems to trade well - he is in and out quickly, which is my style, which is why I wanted to sit with him for a bit, but it never materialized.

Also, David did recommend that I NOT take the 4 day course since he didn't feel I would benefit from it (I have been trading for 5-6 years already, and didn't need all the beginner fluff) Thats why he said he would set aside a little time for me.

There's no hard feelings here by me - it just didn't work out - so be it. I've spent money on worse shit than this, and since I'm only 39, I'm sure I will buy some other shit in the future. (heck, the Power Ranger I just bought for my son was a better value than the course :) )

Just my 2 cents - I still have my account at Terranova because I think its the best software around, but as for a trading "school", you might want to look elsewhere.

#13     May 1, 2002
  4. Please don't put Norm Abrams in the same class as Robbins or hypesters like Bright!

#14     May 1, 2002
  5. YesMan76

YesMan76

Whamo-could you elaborate on your original post please? Did you actually take a course from MW as a paying student? WHich class did you take? What would you say were the main benefits or features of the course you took? I am thinking of taking the 4 day course but am not certain it would be worth it now.

MGB-interesting perspective. I read your dialogue with David Nassar from that AMGN post, he definitely gave you the impression that you could come out and hang with him on the trading floor for a few days. Did you let him know in advance that you were coming out? DId he acknowledge that you were enrolled in a class? If so it is lame that he did not give you a heads up he would be out on vacation. Who taught the MW Tech analysis course if Nassar did not. Was the instructor knowledgeable/qualified?

FInally, to the site/thread moderator why were the comments that were not so positive about MW deleted? That seems a little excessive. They were not that offensive and I think we all appreciate hearing all sides and opinions on such matters. Did I miss something...were the posters notorious bashers with a history of criticizing other posters?

Thanks to all for comments and feedback.

#15     May 1, 2002
  6. mbg

mbg

I sent him 2 or 3 e-mails stating that I had signed up for the course, and the date of the course. Nassar does not teach that particular course - it is taught by Brian Shannon. On the knowledgable/qualified scale, I would give him a 6 out of 10 - he's a nice guy, but not very personable.

Like I said - the John Murphy book only costs about 50 bucks - you'll get more out of it.

#16     May 1, 2002
  7. [

As for me, I attended after posting notes here in elitetrader with David when he was posting about AMGN back in March. I said at the time I was taking the technical analysis class (which he doesn't teach) but would like to get to learn some of his methods - spend a little time with him. He said sure - just e-mail him when I was coming.

I e-mailed him, told him I was coming, and never heard from him again. When I was there, he was on vacation. Thanks Dave. (if you don't believe me, go search the posts here for the AMGN thread that he started - its all there in black and white) And he told me to critique after I was done - so here it is.

Actually that was kind of funny because I use to trade at Marketwise when they had a prop program. He had several traders in the office that he had a perfect opportunity to impart knowledge too but never found the time to do it. I was there 6 months before they folded up and I could count on one hand the number of times he spoke to his traders. I do remember being told that trading off charts and most technical indicators were BS but now I see the firm seems to really be pushing technical analysis. Seems kind of funny. To his credit Dave could be a good motivator, however there was lack of follow thru on a lot of promised things. So anyway that was my experience with Dave

There was a trader there that I remember teaching a few technical analysis classes that was pretty knowledgeable, so you would probably learn some useful things thru him, but nothing you could not get out of a book. All depends on what form of teaching works best for you.

#17     May 1, 2002
  8. Rigel

Rigel

This is entertaining! Just like Waxie.
    He's refreshing though because he's so forthright.
    "Whose your daddy!" "Cachingo baby!"
    Keep it coming, this is great.

#18     May 1, 2002
  9. mbg

mbg

you can't make this shit up! OK - I gave my objective view

it'll be interesting to see if this gets deleted

I did stay an extra 2 days - and watched Kevin trade - he was a truly nice guy, and very good trader as well. Never saw Ed (except for when he gave me my receipt) and Brian holed up in his office throughout the trading day (not personable).

They had a couple of other prop traders there - I asked them if David ever comes in to trade with them - they said No - he only trades in his office by himself - fwiw.

Like I said - I don't really care - water under the bridge.

#19     May 1, 2002
  10. lol...thats funny-
    heres more...I "registered" for that session after Dave was advertising so much here. Hey, how's this Dave..why not just let people see you trade instead of having some piker sales guys calling my f'n house. "uh hello Mr. so and so?" Yeah what do you want? "uh, you registered for a on-line blah blah"
    "look buddy do you know how many f'n stockbrokers call me every f'n day!!! you.." click! the guy hung up....

whatever happen to marketwise prop traders anyway? Didn't Dave say he just didn't want to do it anymore? Maybe , but I thought it was something to do with all the fine he was getting from the NASD. Check it out.

#20     May 1, 2002