David Koch supports gay marriage,defense cuts and raising taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ==========
    Bad/wrong flip'
    if its true??:cool:

#11     Aug 31, 2012
  2. There's no doubt that many criminals deserve the death penalty, but I'm against it for two reasons: (a) If we execute the wrong guy, there's no way to undo the damage. (b) In many states, it's so expensive and it takes so long (in some cases decades) to execute a convicted murdere they're more likely to die of old age anyway. I'd settle for life in prison without any possibility of parole.

#12     Aug 31, 2012
  3. The death penalty is a tough one because, as I stated in my previous post, many criminals deserve capital punishment. But in the long run, I think it's a losing policy. We could end up executing the wrong person, and too often the penalty takes decades to be carried out anyway. Hard-time life in prison with no parole would be fine with me.

I agree with you on abortion. After numerous discussions with many doctors, including my wife's OB/GYN who's delivered thousands of babies, the fact remains that we don't really know when life begins. I'm against abortion, but I wouldn't make it illegal because it will just drive women to back-alley abortionists and I don't believe that's a solution to the problem.

#13     Aug 31, 2012
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

It doesn't HAVE to be expensive or take decades.

#14     Aug 31, 2012
  5. a) I agree that is the major problem, and it has happened before. BUT in cases where there is no doubt whatsoever, 100% fact that we know who is responsible, they should be executed. In the example of the batman shooter, it is a certainty that he did it.. he should be dead already imo.

b) This can be fixed, like Lucrum said it doesn't have to be expensive. State purchases cheapest possible ammo and rifles, puts prisoner against wall, squad opens fire = cheap effective execution.

I can't fathom why we should waste resources keeping certain people alive. If I had family or friends who got shot in that movie theater i would be pissed knowing the individual responsible is still alive. the facts are in, he is a mass murderer, justice to me means he should suffer the same fate as his victim(s), quickly.

#15     Aug 31, 2012
  6. jem

jem

So many witnesses are confused or lie... other than fraud free video tape of the murder... how you can you ever be 100% sure.

I am therefore currently against the death penalty for practical reasons.

#16     Aug 31, 2012
  7. Well there are cases where it is 100%.. like teh batman shooter. Or a serial killer who gets uncovered years later. Or a confession. Or getting caught in the act. I am saying just in those cases.

#17     Aug 31, 2012
  8. jem

jem

fair enough...
    the trouble would be writing out the filters ahead of time in a well written law.

#18     Aug 31, 2012
  9. About 2AM here, but can't sleep. And no trading for 3 days, what the heck.

This is a tough one. I want people like the Batman killer off the face of the Earth. And I hate paying to feed and house that loser for his whole life, but I really can't come around to condoning killing people. In self defense, maybe. I have guns, and am not afraid to use them, as the saying goes. But, a good point is that it costs more to put them on death row.

Then we get the Pro Life crowd. Most of whom are really just Pro Birth, then the hell with them. Against any way to care for unwanted children, and pro death penalty. Any thoughts on this?

#19     Aug 31, 2012
  10. jem

jem

as a pro life person, it is very difficult for me to be pro capital punishment in most if not all circumstances.. but I am willing to listen if you can craft a really good law.

just like I am not in favor of abortion in most if not all circumstances... but I am willing to listen in certain cases and I do think this should be decided state by state... not by the Sp Ct.

but in my society... those in prison would work for their food, shelter and clothing. They might also have to remain silent when not working.

They definitely would not be working out with weights in the yard.

#20     Aug 31, 2012