David Koch supports gay marriage,defense cuts and raising taxes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Aug 31, 2012.

1. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80483.html#ixzz258bfEvPo

David Koch breaks from GOP on gay marriage, taxes, defense cuts

TAMPA, Fla. – Billionaire industrialist David Koch, who is helping steer millions of dollars to elect Mitt Romney and congressional Republicans, on Thursday told POLITICO he disagrees with the GOP’s stance on gay marriage and believes the U.S. needs to consider raising taxes to balance the budget.

Koch, who is serving as a delegate to the Republican National Convention from New York, spoke to POLITICO after delivering brief remarks at a reception held in his honor by Americans for Prosperity, the political advocacy group he chairs and has helped fund.

The 1980 vice presidential nominee for the socially liberal — but fiscally conservative — Libertarian Party, Koch told POLITICO “I believe in gay marriage” when asked about the GOP’s stance on gay rights.

Romney opposes gay marriage, as do most Republicans, and when that was pointed out to Koch, he said “Well, I disagree with that.”

Koch said he thinks the U.S. military should withdraw from the Middle East and said the government should consider defense spending cuts, as well as possible tax increases to get its fiscal house in order — a stance anathema to many in the Republican Party.

“I think it’s essential to be able to achieve spending reductions and maybe it’s going to require some tax increases,” he said. “We got to come close to balancing the budget; otherwise, we’re in a terrible deep problem.”

As for whether military spending cuts should be on the table, Koch said, “I think to balance the budget, probably every federal department has to take cuts in my opinion. We have to spread it around.”

2. Brass

Brass

Say what? :eek:

3. Either hes confused like PT or senile like Clint Eastwood :confused:

4. No surprise here. At least 50% of the conservatives I know have no problem with gay marriage, and many would support a revamping of the tax system even if it meant they would lose some of their tax breaks.

I'm a conservative, but I have no problem with gay marriage, I'm against the death penalty and think most drugs should be legalized. I also would support a tax increase if I thought our politicians would act responsibly with the new funds, though I really don't trust either party on that front. I'm a fiscal conservative, gun rights advocate and generally against abortion (not for religious reasons -- I'm an agnostic).

Most conservatives that I know have mixed views, especially on social issues.

5. hughb

hughb

Frankly, I didn't believe this, as far as the tax increase goes. I didn't think there was any way in hell that any Koch would support any tax increase. When I fact checked, it's being covered by quite a few media outlets, so I guess he really has flipped on taxes.

6. Brass

Brass

Actually, I think he might be finally coming to his senses. Time will tell...

7. Maybe he isn't just voicing his opinion, he is trying to signal to the public that there is a vestige of sanity in the GOP.

8. A person doesn't have to support every policy stance of a candidate to support him. With all the serious issues we face whether or not 3% of the population can get married really doesn't seem worth worrying about.

9. Your against the death penalty in all cases Tom? I'm with you on just about every issue I've seen you post about, but I am all for the death penalty.. for example I can't understand why that scum who shot up the batman movie is still breathing.

10. I could of written most of that, except I have no problem with the death penalty and I'm also generally against abortion, but against making it illegal, I'm also agnostic or as I like to say atheist.

#10     Aug 31, 2012