DataFeed Recommendations

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Viper101, Jul 22, 2009.

1. I completely disagree.

Case in point:

TD Ameritrade uses a "filtered" data-feed called streamer that is still not up to robust standards. The Level-2 lags substantially during heavy volume and price activity.

As a result, you have to use another data-feed in order to supplement a trading platform such as Quotetracker via Ameritrade.

With DTN's "IQ-Feed" you at least have a chance at getting real-time tick data for Level-1. If you choose to go without such a real-time tick feed and rely on Ameritrade's "streamer" ( which lags and is filtered ) you are just asking for trouble.

NOTE: I too, am based on the West Coast and am cognizant of all sorts of latency issues.

#31     Jul 23, 2009
  2. thstart

thstart

This is a valuable good information to know. It turns out it is not different from Schwab. I was thinking to look at Ameritrade too.

I agree but I doubt I can find a good enough "real time" data feed unless I am located at the exchange.

Yes, definitely.

#32     Jul 23, 2009
  3. thstart

thstart

I made probably a more radical decision not to depend from this. ;)

#33     Jul 23, 2009
  4. Of course, when we get hectic during let's say a Fed announcement, and the real time tick data starts lagging, I don't know how you're going to "scalp". By the time you see the data it won't mean anything.

And let's face it, if you're see a "snapshot" 6 times a second, how much do you really think your eye is capable of seeing?

That said, anyone who thinks they need every tick should get it. I just wouldn't count on it at any of the important news events or heavy volume times.

Then too, I guess the definition of "scalper" varies depending on who you're talking to. I think of it as a guy whose going for a few ticks. And personally I think there are more profitable ways to trade. Just my opinion. If you're a guy whose making several trades a day off of the chart, I don't think you need to see each tick. There's more important information than that.

Just my opinion.

OldTrader

#34     Jul 23, 2009
  5. thstart

thstart

Mr. OldTrader described this very well.

#35     Jul 23, 2009
  6. ::Yeah, IB takes a snapshot. Matter of fact, it takes something
    ::like 6 snapshots per second. Trust me, you aren't going to miss
    ::much. And if you're that focused on each and every tick, my
    ::guess is you're headed down the wrong road in trading.

This is bullocks. I dont do millisecond trading and still need a tick feed. Why?

TICK CHARTS. Hard to build a 89 tick chart (a bar every some seconds in active markets) when you simply dont have reliable tick information to start with ;)

Thanks for me there is zen-fire ;) Not trading stocks here, though ;)

#36     Jul 24, 2009
  7. Viper101

Viper101

Thanks for that! It works. I had no idea you could do this.

Its not tick data though, I just tested it. TS volumes are in chunks.

no disrespect on my bandwidth meter light speed does 30KB/s, instaquote does 7KB/s, IB does less than 1KB/s. I can see how it would be an issue if your on dial up.

Even if IB takes 6 snapshots/sec it then chunks all those trades in a sec as one so on the TS you see a trade with a large volume although it consisted of several individual trades in reality.

Even during news announcements and such lag isn't a issue from the testing I've done.

Why would you be in a position in the first place during scheduled news releases.

I just tested TD Ameritrade streaming feed with my LightSpeed and completely agree with you. Its not tick, It lags for less than a second but what annoys me is the how it chunks the volumes as one trade on the T/S within QT.

And yes Im a scalper so raw data is important to me. I've done some testing on varying feeds and will post the results on youtube if anyone is interested.

#37     Jul 24, 2009
  8. moarla

moarla

well i tested ZEN and DTN, in periods with higher volume i had lags from 5 to 10 seconds, on IB NO LAGS

i dont care about ticks i care about price :))

#38     Jul 24, 2009
  9. I use ZEN here and NO LAG AT ALL ;)

Hm, so maybe it was your software. Ninja? Hm, yeah. Stupid T&S windows really can overload the system ;)

Pretty often it is the front end not able to cope with the data.

#39     Jul 24, 2009
  10. I didn't say take a position, just see how it handles the data under stress. I often take a position because it suits my style but that's not for everyone but to answer your question, violent moves obviously produce fast profits IF you know how to trade them.

#40     Jul 24, 2009