Datafeed: Open Ecry, DTN, Quotetracker, Sierra

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by VinnyB, Apr 7, 2009.

1. VinnyB

VinnyB

After trying OEC, Inifinity platform, Ninja, I'm opening an account with OEC. I just feel more comfortable with their DOM.

My question concerns datafeed and charting. Because I want to use different charts than OEC, my first thought was to use Quotetracker with DTN feed - which I thought would be an ideal solution.

Now I'm considering using the OEC feed with Sierra Charts. That's really my second choice but my concern is using a datafeed from DTN and placing trades through OEC on another feed. Are these datafeeds close enough to where that's suitable or is the "right" (or better) way, to use the same feed that your going to be trading with?

On the other hand [lots of hands], another thought would be that having DTN AND OEC might be good to catch any "glitches".

Any input?

Thanks,
    V.

2. For my own personal peace of mind I double up on everything when trading. Two data feeds, one trade software, one to the charting software. As you mention if one is having a problem and you are trading you will be much more likely to notice. Two different brokers also available for offsets if one is kaput. Cell phone and landline, at the ready, and this has come in handy when I had problems. Etc, etc. All have come in handy at one point or another over the years. Oh yea I have a back up computer ready to fire up either trade platform if my main trading computer crashes.
    I will be publishing a book titled " Peace of Mind or Just a Paranoid Nut - A Pyschotic Traders Mind":D

3. Schaefer

Schaefer

Taclander pretty much nailed it :D But what he described was meant for real traders, who pretty much does trading for living.

If you're just starting out, and trying to learn the ropes trading 1 lots (part time), then your first priority should be to keep the overall cost down. You don't need to double up on anything.

Have fun :)

Schaefer

4. Vinny - I've used both and currently use OEC for data and entry. In my experience, DTN has an unreliable feed. I assumed paying extra for a feed would equate to a more stable platform and I was incredibly mistaken.

5. VinnyB

VinnyB

Gotcha'. Thanks Taclander. Good point Schaefer. Thank you

Browns Fan,

Thanks for your input about DTN. Saw some of your posts and knew you had used OEC. Glad to hear you still do. Are you also using OEC charts? Sierra?

V.

6. gttrader

gttrader

When was that brownsfan019, I've been using DTN for 2 years and only had one outage. Seems pretty reliable to me.