data

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Boomer, Nov 27, 2003.

1. blb078

blb078

i use IB w/QT, it' works great, you also get the use of other exchanges with QT, such as foreign exchanges, some cost a couple bux a month some are free(that's IB's fee) you can also use historical data for the futures through QT, they use prophet.net if you are just looking into it open a small acct. with IB and get QT, it's the easiest and cheapest way to go.

#11     Nov 27, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If I understand you correctly, however, QT will show you data only for the past five days. Sierra will show you data from the point you began tracking the symbol, regardless of how many days, weeks, months ago that was. Unless, of course, you subscribe to a datafeed that provides backfill which, of course, is more than free (IB).

#12     Nov 27, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Boomer, this has all been made much more confusing than it needs to be. Apply for trials to whatever service or feed offers trials and see for yourself what suits you. The historical data issue eliminated QT for me but you may not care about that. And the various feeds and charting programs suggested vary dramatically in terms of reliability and sophistication.

In other words, test drive everything and decide for yourself.

#13     Nov 27, 2003
  4. Yes, QT intraday chart data is max 5 days right now. We need that restriction to be able to let you have dozens of charts open at the same time without killing memory and CPU usage.

#14     Nov 27, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

However, that seems to be a problem with QT, though perhaps not unique to it, and is a major reason why I had to stop using it, the demands on memory, which disappeared when I began using Sierra.

As I said earlier, best for the individual to take advantage of trial offers and see what most closely meets his needs.

#15     Nov 27, 2003
  6. Kiwiboy

Kiwiboy

Can you have an IB account without depositing any funds? If Boomer wants to just follow the market, he may not wish to be wiring minimum $2k.

I know that in IB's account set-up, they ask you for expected payment method (amoutn you're intending to wire in, Bank, branch) even before they review your application.

#16     Nov 27, 2003
  7. Uni

Uni

IB offers free delayed data (15 minutes) for selected symbols including ES through its TWS Demo. This would be an option if you just want to collect some intraday data for chart scrolling later on. There are some free charting apps out there that would work with this (sorry but I don't know them offhand, I'll check into it).

Uni

#17     Nov 29, 2003
  8. IB's DEMO data is not delayed. It test data - does NOT reflect the current market or one 15 minutes ago

#18     Nov 29, 2003
  9. eSignal's MarketCenter is also really cheap

#19     Dec 1, 2003
  10. You can get free real time data from Scottrade:
    https://www.scottrader.com/

Scottrade doesn't have futures but you can follow SPX which should run pretty close to the ES emini futures.

Scottrade's data can be connected to Medved Quotetracker, the best of any free charting programs and better than a lot of programs you pay for:
    http://www.quotetracker.com/

If you want to practice trading, just type in "free trading simulator" on any search engine and you should find a lot of different trading simulators, some using real time futures data. You'll find enough different ones that you can keep going on free trials for many months.

If you want to find a system to practice trading you can find quite a few here on EliteTrader. I haven't found any yet that I think are reasonably profitable, but neither have I found any in my $80 books. Let me know if you find anything.

#20     Dec 1, 2003