DATA VENDORS: Which one is the Best????

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Aranha, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Turok

Turok

I had NOTHING but hassles with Qcharts/Qfeed.

I have had NOTHING but great data and service from RealTick.

JB

#11     Aug 7, 2001
  2. roger2

roger2

Quicken Quotes Live (QQL) is the only feed I have used (except for a trial of PCQuote which seemed to be OK)

QQL's 'deluxe' package is only @ $66 and includes unlimited symbols, L2, T&S, etc, plus a lot of bells'n'whistles I never use like chart drawing

QQL shows pre/post market activity in charts, L2, and T&S but not in the 'Quotes' window.

QQL has a screener called 'Market Trends' for gappers, point gainers, % gainers, etc.

the feed always works , email support is very good...

P.S. the default config. proudly displays most of the bells'n'whistles but it is easy to turn this stuff off and go bare bones

#12     Aug 7, 2001
  3. ktm

ktm

I would agree that QCharts is pretty weak as a data provider. The charts are nice and if you like to program your own stuff, it can be a plus. I've had other providers and they all have their problems in one form or another. I agree with the poster who said nobody really has it together yet. I would add that in the big picture, this industry (online trading) and the technology to support it is still in it's infancy. Over the next few years, reliability and integrity should improve now that more folks are out there seeking the service and there are more vendors providing it. A few years ago, there were very few data providers and it was much more expensive and less reliable. When I started trading, I got my quotes from the paper the following day.

#13     Aug 7, 2001
  4. Aranha

Aranha

I've heard that Tradestation Quotes are feeded by S&P Comstock.

Has anyone ever used S&P Comstock?

Also, RealTick uses what data vendor's feed?

I've just got a DEMO of REDIPLUS, and I found their LEVEL 2 quote and their charting TERRIBLE!!!

I used to have tradestation as my quotes provider, and they show the LEVEL 2 quotes with the real volume size.

What other software shows the real volume size, so you don't have to add 2 zeros....cause I got used to tradestation....hehe

Thanx

#14     Aug 7, 2001
  5. Aranha,

Just a note on REDI. REDI+ is mainly an direct
    access order execution platform(EDAT). REDI+ charts are
    really only to be used as a backup. REDI+ has their
    own ticker plant and if you have a reliable ISP or
    WAN connection, REDI+ level II will be one of the
    most accurate Level II quotes out there. Bear in mind
    that your ISP,RAM,softare compatibility and other
    factors can influence your level II quotes. If you are
    using multiple softare packages(Real Tick & E-Signal)
    REDI+ & AT Financial etc.), make sure your computer has
    256 Meg Ram. I have the hardware requirements we
    suggest on our site at

http://www.stocktrade.net/services/redi/redi_download_require.htm

If you go with REDI and you are a true professional
    trader-I would suggest ILX, A.T. Financial, E-signal
    or Bridge for charts , news & quotes. Since REDI+ has
    news,charts & quotes-you will have a built in "backup"
    if your chart package goes down.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., L.L.C.
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#15     Aug 9, 2001
  6. I've used the following data feed:
    (1) eSignal. Pretty reliable, but their interface is not user-friendly. There are no pull-down menus for 1-min,
    5-min, charts, etc. You've got to open new windows if you want to do that. It's such a hassle.
    (2) Windowsonwallstreet. Forget about their candlestick charting. It's always out of scale.
    (3) QChart. Unreliable data feed, although I like their
    charting. They also have complete data for the indices and major futures like the Naz and Spoos. Their customer support is very poor, however.
    (4) Quicken Quote Live. This is what I am using now. This is the most user-friendly, although it lacks sector indices info. and you can't draw Fib. retracements yet. There are also no spoos and Naz futures data. That's a drawback for the daytrader . However, since I am more of a swing trader, that's O. K. They are far more responsive to customers' suggestions than QChart.

#16     Aug 9, 2001
  7. Aranha

If you want the best data vendor i suggest you try Aspen Graphics. This company stands head and shoulders above the rest. The only company that can challenge them is Tradestation. This company has features galore, some youve probably never heard of. Its an expensive piece of software. Its 300 a month with the S&P Comstock datafeed. This is just a start their add-on modules cost another 30-195 a piece. You'll never have to worry about data reliability and accuracy because you can always subscribe to another data feed. But, ive never had problems with Comstock feed. Aspen is located at http://www.aspenres.com These people specialize in commercial accounts. The Mercedez Benz of data feeds.!!!!

Sterling

#17     Aug 9, 2001
  8. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

As far as I know S&P Comstock is using hyperfeed just like realtick.
    The datafeed for RealTick is pretty good.

#18     Aug 9, 2001
  9. Aranha ,

I have heard good things about Aspen Graphics. I believe
    ASPEN charting is geared more toward commodity traders. I was mainly talking about charting and building a tradestation for NASDAQ/NYSE/AMEX trading that is easy to use , cost effective and will work well with other
    EDAT software. I like A.T. Financial & REDI+ together for
    our trading. In our Berwyn,Pa. office we use Bridge & REDI+
    and ROX as a backup order-execution platform.
    We have used S & P Comstock for over three years, with
    mostly good results. The bandwidth and ISP connection have
    alot to do with performance. Right now we are using A.T. Financial Speedfeed (T-1 WAN connection), with very
    good results. We can compare REDI+ and AT Financial and see
    if we have any lag time . This is another benefit of having two different data vendors. If you are trading remotely with
    two software packages , DSL ,ADSL or Cable is a must.

Gene Weissman
    Lieber & Weissman Sec., L.L.C.
    gweissman@stocktrade.net

#19     Aug 9, 2001
  10. Hi ALL:
    Qchart has problems...but it is the only data feed that I know, whose data stream is buffered (Qfeed). DDE interfaces are “snapshots” which mean that ticks are dropped during analysis or during the updating process if there is more than one equity. If your trading system is tick driven as is mine, keeping dropped ticks to a minimum is essential. The only way that I know to do that if you are not using QFeed,is by writing a preemptive buffered interface. AT Financial, Comstock and E-signal do not have a buffered data stream (that can be controlled by the user).

#20     Aug 9, 2001