Data providers

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by lwlee, Mar 30, 2006.

1. lwlee

lwlee

eSignal is pricey. How does IQFeed or DTN.iq compare?

Seems DTN is the cheapest but any good?

2. DTN is top notch. IQ feed is DTN.

I've been at this for a LONG time, and trust me, DTN is far better, and cheaper, than Signal.

I have had my quote feed drop once in three years. I had Signal for about a decade, and it would drop about ten times per month! it also lagged by about 15 seconds.

3. lwlee

lwlee

It is? Why would anyone use IQFeed then if you can get the $534 yearly deal from DTN?

4. Exactly what is free ? From a quick look at your web site it seems that it is ECN tick and real time data that is free. Is this the case ?

5. squeeze

squeeze

Does anyone know anything about this company?

Two thoughts:

No one gives away something for nothing unless there is a catch. They must make money some how.

Second, how does this company stop people stealing and redistributing data illegaly? The exchanges are very protective of their proprietary data and will fine/shut down anyone who does not have appropriate controls in place.

6. romik

romik

are you looking for reliable or inexpensive provider? It all depends what you are going to trade and how?

I use IQ feed with QT for charting. IQ has been very reliable when matched against TT.

The right answer depends on your trading style.

7. alanm

alanm

Quote from squeeze:
    Second, how does this company stop people stealing and redistributing data illegaly? The exchanges are very protective of their proprietary data and will fine/shut down anyone who does not have appropriate controls in place.

I don't see any difference in this regard between them and anyone else. I could build a quote farm to (illegally) redistribute as many symbols as any of my quote sources would provide if I wanted to. I don't see how any API could protect against this and still remain accurate and useful.

I've had their stuff for a couple of weeks, but haven't gotten around to working much with it (the C++ samples are broken and I haven't felt like working on it yet :) ). You only pay for the exchange fees for the markets you need (a few dollars total for US equities and options).

8. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

The $534 yearly deal is for our DTN.IQ subscription, which runs on DTN IQFeed. Since it runs on IQFeed, you can subscribe to this with our basic client interface software (DTN.IQ) and/or use a 3rd party software package. This pricing was a limited time offer while we completed the development of our DTN ProphetX Active Trader product which is now available (http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=66099). In the end, an IQFeed subscription is still the best option if you don't want to commit to a year of service.

Since we are shifting DTN.IQ customers to the new ProphetX platform, the $534 annual rate for dtn.iq will be going away shortly (in other words, if you want that deal, I would suggest locking it in within the next 2 weeks).

This will leave IQFeed as the only subscription option for 3rd party applications using our feed. However, we are thinking of offering an annual pricing option for IQFeed in the future.

Hopefully this answers any questions. If not, feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help.

Jay

9. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

Not "Cheapest"...

Please use "Best Value"... "Seems DTN is the Best Value".

In many cases we are less expensive, but that doesn't mean our quality is any lower. Take a look at our website for some comments regarding our feed compared to others. The best way to prove it is through a trial or by looking at the other posts from people who use DTN products. We may not spend as much money on marketing as other companies, but we invest heavily in our infrastructure and product development.

Jay

10. nutsojob

nutsojob

Can this be used with Amibroker?

#10     Mar 31, 2006