Data Feed with Java API

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by newbie2006, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Have a look at http://www.opentick.com It may not be quite ready for prime time yet, but it's open source and does not require dlls, local servers or any other dross. It's also free, with the exception of exchange fees which are miniscule for Level I stocks. According to a post on their forum they are about to release an updated Java API.

#11     Jul 22, 2006
  2. dcraig,
    I am aware of opentick, I have read some negative reviews about them here on ET and frankly I can't buy the fact that they provide quality service for free but anyway I will definitely try them and see for myself.

And by the way, InteractiveBrokers and opentick don't provide Nasdaq TotalView which is not good.

Am I asking for much ? :)

#12     Jul 22, 2006
  3. segv

segv

There is a Java wrapper API for Esignal. Alternatively, its easily accessed in C# or any of the other .NET languages.

-segv

#13     Jul 23, 2006
  4. It's only free for a few more months. See their forum.

#14     Jul 23, 2006
  5. I've run it under WINE without problem. Still, it's not supported in this configuration, obviously.

#15     Jul 23, 2006
  6. From the options I have seen, only InteractiveBrokers and opentick provides pure Java API, for all the other options its C++ API which I am not interested in as I have zero experience with C++ while I am mastering Java.

For opentick, I don't care if they charge money but what worries me is that it seems its not stable at all and is not ready for production yet.

So this lefts me with only InteractiveBrokers.

any more callers ?

Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread and gave recommendations.

#16     Jul 24, 2006
  7. I think Comstock had/have a real Java API but it's a bit expensive.

#17     Jul 24, 2006
  8. I already contacted comstock but didn't get any replies yet!

#18     Jul 24, 2006
  9. jkd

jkd

If the IQFeed connection manager will run under WINE, then you're in cuz you'd be talking to it via TCP/IP to set up a watchlist and to receive the data that you parse and process yourself in whatever PL you desire.

There's a support board at http://forums.iqfeed.net where you might find others who've used DTN this way.

DTN charges $300/year to register as a developer which gives you access the API specs, support, and the raw feed.

#19     Jul 24, 2006
  10. I'm not sure I understand this statement. DTN doesn't require you to learn C++ at all, but it does require you to have a small client running. The others are similar--just because their base is some other language, the Java APIs are generally quite clean.

As a result, DTN definitely has a "pure" java API--no C++ required.

#20     Jul 24, 2006