[data feed heuristic] May I download from some middle man ?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by jk90029, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dear-

Personally my watchlist has roughly 500 equities, similar to SnP500. Also need only 1-min data, with no precise data like tick.

Since it is hard to program myself to connect data provider, how about an alternative way to catch the current price for 500 equities, from middle man, with no difficult programming?

I am not sure it is allowed or not. Some middleman or company may provide current price so that I can use something like ftp (file transfer protocol) for the 1-min updated price change.

Of course, it is easy to download daily OCLC until yesterady, by R and yahoo.com/finance.
    Simply middleman may open a csv file with 500 rows and 2 columns, so that I use linux command (or windows) "ftp His_IP_address thefile.csv"

-Jay

2. 2rosy

2rosy

It's a lot less cumbersome to get the data from a data provider than using ftp. instead of ftp.get you essentially use dataproviderAPI.get
    PM me i will write it for you

3. I do NOT even know where to PM you. Please see your page for my posting.

4. For the "I am not sure it is allowed or not. Some middleman or company may provide current price", is it legally OK?

5. promagma

promagma

Of course it's legal, but it's probably not free, for example EODdata.com. But really, if you can figure out how to parse and use that data, it's not much harder to collect it yourself in real time.

6. I mean, if my friend has a csv file (500 rows) of current equity price in his PC so that he open the file for me to internet-connect from my local PC.
    He already paid subscription and I do NOT need to pay to my friend.

Is it OK? Of course I can pay half of monthly bill for his data subscription.
    Actually this is NOT for saving money, but to avoid time-consuming programming.

PS) possibly 1)Linux ftp or 2) http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/tutorial-one-python.html

7. Occam

Occam

I don't think this is OK, as it's redistribution that your friend probably doesn't have a license for. My guess is that you need to get your own feed. But you'd need to read the contracts and/or ask the provider to be sure.

8. If he distribute the data many places for commercial profit, then it is obviously violation of contract.

Here, I mean, he and ONLY his friend share the data, with half/half monthly payment.
    It is similar to the case that you and your wife enjoy the feed service together.

9. Occam

Occam

It sounds like you probably need to read the contract -- if you have already and what you say is true, then fine. But my guess is that most contracts would forbid this (at least any sensible one).

I don't think your "sharing with your wife" example works in this case. If you have a cable TV contract and your wife watches TV with you at the same time, you're fine. But if you "share" your cable TV by running a cable to the guy down the street -- you're probably violating the contract.

But to reiterate, I don't know for sure what your contract says; you'll have to read it yourself or ask the vendor/broker directly.

10. Appreciate for replying my concern. Probably it is technical issue, whether and how I can receive my 500 watch list from my friend's PC.

In fact, as a newbie, I do not have that kind of friend yet. Someone wanted to open data received his computer so that I can receive price signal to my PC.
    Of course I should pay half of the monthly fee.

PS) I do not need price every second. My logic of equity entry search requires 1-min or 5-min price change.

PS2) I have sent email to many data feed providers, that the company need to give me code so that I can receive price every minute, given personal 500 watch list.
    Unfortunately all companies reject my offer. That is why I am trying to find alternative way for data feed. (Not stealing intellectual/info property)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    #10     Jan 21, 2016