Data Feed for Wealth-Lab

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by nitro, Jul 11, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

TradingBoy,

You are 100% correct! Thx for the response. TradeStation, thanks to Kymar, has also posted how to get around the limitation on

http://www.tradestationworld.com

Look in Discussion and under TradeStation 6 Tips And Tricks.

I am a little red in the face for jumping to conclusions - TS6 is rock solid now in every way - sorry Omega.

nitro

#11     Jul 26, 2002
  2. This question pertains more to MetaStock than Tradestation or eSignal.

I am a Metastock Pro realtime user, and use many one minute charts with each having a few indicators. The hard drive is operating almost continuously in this configuration. I use eSignal as the data feed for the MS charting. It is interesting to note that I also have numerous charts and indicators setup in eSignal, but the hard drive does not exhibit the same continuous operation as in MS. I have MS configured for live realtime bars.

MS is saving the one minute data to the hard drive, unlike eSignal, but it that the only difference. MS is very slow under these conditions!

Are Tradestation and Wealth Lab hard drive hogs also?

#12     Jul 28, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

Your question needs to be qualified. TS has several different flavors still in use, TS4, TS200i, TS6.

Before TS6, Tradestation used to work as most other software works. That is, it uses a data gathering scheme where the historical data is stored locally on your machine. These versions of Tradestation would have similar disk access performance similar to MS.

Beginning with TS6, Omega made the HUGE leap of making the data available at anytime from THEIR servers - all that is kept on your machine is a "cache" amount of data (this is the way that QCharts works also.) So even if your machine goes down or your Internet conection goes down, when you re-establish your connection to the TS6 servers, the cache is refreshed and you still have access to all the data. As a result, the disk activity is kept to a minimum (just keep the cache "full.")

In addition, in the past I used to track a bunch of symbols because I never new if I would like to trade them, overloading the system even more. With TS6, you don't need to track every symbol to do historical testing - if you open a new chart and request the data, it goes and gets what it needs.

Omega has come a long way with TS6 - now if they would only offer a .01c per share or better with a cap at say 1500 shares, offer MOO and MOC orders, bring in RadarScreen into TS6 with full adaptibility, allow DDE or Socket access from other programs, offer bullets, allow window linking and the other 100 obvious improvements in this area that traders have been asking for, and beef up EasyLanguage (you still don't have access to the Bid/Ask from EasyLanguage- unnacceptable), it would once again be head and shoulders above the rest.

One thing I love about Wealth-Lab is the fact that a chart and the data that feed the chart are seperable, as opposed to TS where they are inseperable. In TS, if you want data and you want to do testing or alerts on that data, it MUST be put into a chart - if they did away with this I would be eggsztatic (<- misspelled on purpose.) A chart should be VIEW of the data, just like a "RadarScreen" is another view on the data. What if I want to View my data by using a "Fighter Pilot Cockpit" metaphor with dials and crosshairs? I should be allowed to see the data as I please, not with canned OHLC 2D charts. Omega needs to use the Model-View-Controller design pattern to design TS and it needs to expose this in an API - it would then be a thing to behold and open up a whole new world to outside developers....

nitro

#13     Jul 28, 2002
  4. Thanks for the reply.
    Actually, MS does the same and keeps the current data in a cache for realtime data. The data I am getting comes from eSignal and if something goes down, when I get everything back up, the data is refreshed in the cache from eSignal.
    The hard drive does not work much just when the chart bars are involved. The hard drive starts going alot when indicators are involved. I do not notice this with eSignals charts/indicators, only MS.
    So, I was wondering why MS indicators use the hard drive so much as compared to eSignal and TS6(maybe)?

#14     Jul 29, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

Hmm,

So Esignal does this too...Not bad.

How much memory does your computer have? What OS are you running it with? IF you are running an NT version, have you looked at the Task Manager to see if the program is swaping out to disk?

nitro

#15     Jul 29, 2002
  6. Kymar

Kymar

I presume you've already sent your ideas to the wishlist?

#16     Jul 29, 2002

7. Actually, it is MS Pro that does the caching. I only use eSignal for the data source. Quote.com is another source that works as well.

My Dell Workstation has two 933 CPUs. I have 512 Megs Ram and Win 2000, so the resources are fine with what I am running.
    It appears that MS uses the hard drive considerably when making the calculations for the various indicators when live bars are in affect. Anyway, I don't see such disk use with eSignals charts and indicators? Interesting.

#17     Jul 29, 2002
  8. Saskia

Saskia

One thing that I like about Wealth Lab is that it automatically downloads all the historical intra day data from the ESignal account. You can save the ID data on your HD and do your backtesting. We use it here for our real time trading and its good to have the complete data available even after the computer has been down. Integration of ID data is sooooo much easier then TS. I can not comment on the new MS. All in all, less pain in setting up the software and the data and more time for trading.

Saskia

#18     Jul 30, 2002
  9. MS allows 65,500 data lines to be saved in a cache that has the past two weeks updated when logging in to your data supplier(ie eSignal).

How much data(bars) can be backtested with Wealth Lab?

#19     Jul 30, 2002