data base constrution

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by sevenlaws, Jul 1, 2010.

1. im saying that the database needs to be compatible with c# and C++ because the GREY box we are building now is in c# but the next 1 one will be a black box so we dont want to have to build a seprate data base fo rthe c++ if possible???

#21     Jul 6, 2010
  2. Hm, sorry.

* Outdated CPU
    * WAY too little RAM for the CPU to play with
    * Slow drives.

Gratulations ;)

Not a bad computer, but I would not cal lthat "sick fast".

the quad core can be split in to 8. its liquid cooled system. besides not using seta drives i think it does the job job pretty good. we got the second to fastest CPU avalible. 4ghz. i wouldnt say its slow. and its a grey box not a black for now. we dont need the best. witch is way over priced at the moment

#22     Jul 6, 2010
  3. thanks winston for all the imput. its helping a lot ;) thanks for all of the others that helping too. thank you!

#23     Jul 6, 2010
  4. Stamatti

Stamatti

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but when it comes to cpu's the ghz have nothing to do with the actual computational power anymore.

At this level you should know this.

A Xenon will run circles on that quad core, even with less ghz. Same thing for a Core iX.

I really hope you are putting more time on your programing and trading skills than you are on your hardware education...

Shape up and study, I'm sure the answer to most of your questions is just a couple of sleepless nights of researching away.

Good luck.

#24     Jul 14, 2010
  5. GTS

GTS

Xeon = Intel Processor
    Xenon = Noble Gas

At this level you should know this.

#25     Jul 15, 2010
  6. Stamatti

Stamatti

Jajaja! Nice! U got me... That's iPhone autocomplete for u... But I didn't catch that...

#26     Jul 15, 2010
  7. Occam

Occam

Not necessarily. Xeon is simply a marketing name. It has only a vague relationship to the architecture, L1/2/3 cache size, socket count, core count, and (believe it or not) the gigahertz speed of the chip, all of which strongly influence the "speed" of the chip, and which are implied by the myriad model numbers. The "fastest" Intel chip available now is in fact not a Xeon, but you probably wouldn't want to use it for a server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

But you are right about one thing -- anyone who wants to do what the OP is doing has a lot of research ahead of him/her, given that he/she doesn't want to hire (or hire out to consultants) more expertise to help. Maybe some salespeople can provide good advice, too.

#27     Jul 16, 2010
  8. kolnstyle

kolnstyle

Don't forget to add the number of threads-per-core to that list.

#28     Jul 16, 2010
  9. Stamatti

Stamatti

I agree on everything, but the fastest processor intel has right now is a Xeon. It is a Xeon based on the new nehalem micro architecture, but a Xeon nonetheless.

#29     Jul 17, 2010
  10. Occam

Occam

You're completely entitled to your own opinion as to what "fastest" means, but in my opinion a well-OC'd unlocked Gulftown beats all comers, including of course any Nehalem Xeon, all of which are locked.

#30     Jul 21, 2010