Darvas or IBD?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by bankroll, Jun 12, 2013.

Darvas or IBD?

1. Darvas

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. IBD

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Comments

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. deaddog

deaddog

Those look like reasonable stocks.

Why the 75% of all time high?
    Darvas insisted on all time highs.

The list had over a dozen stocks. Do you have any other filters?

#21     Jun 12, 2013
  2. deaddog

deaddog

Here is a quick scan I ran that returned several stocks that were not on your list.
    My scan engine can only look back 4 years so I had to manually throw out the ones that were not making new 20 year highs.

• Avg Volume is greater than 300000
    • Price is greater than $20
    • Max High over 5 days is greater than Maximum High over 20 years. (Making new 20 yr highs)
    • Yearly High is greater than Yearly Low times 2 (doubled in price this year)
    • 50-day SMA Volume is greater than 200-day SMA Volume (Volume is increasing)

Take a look at ACHC, CFX, CONN, CTB, CYH, DPZ, OCN, VSAT

Not sure why they didn’t make your cut.
    Could be the Max Shares Outstanding.

#22     Jun 13, 2013
  3. chimera

chimera

i heard he tried to manage money in the UK but it didn't pan out. maybe the market was to blame.

ed seykota talks about one book he read in the sixties that got him interested in the marts but when he programmed the system and ran it the gains were no-where near as good.

He doesn't say it was this book but my guess it was this one he is talking about.

I love the book and it is basically trading stocks 101 education.
    like I.B.D. when they started a Mutual Fund their returns were terrible. So, does it actually work? it does but only in bull markets. vhich is al lyou need really. But evryone vants to make 100%+ in all market conditions. That's human nature. No patience.

Darvas system does actually work in a nutshell. forget his boxes, that's b*s*. Find small, super growth companies the institutions are buying into, all time highs and hold on for as long as possible.

but everyone wants short term intra day H.F.T. methods now.

#23     Jun 13, 2013
  4. Yes, I obviously checked on Amazon but still clueless about which one do you refer to as Nicolas' "OTC book". Thanks.

#24     Jun 13, 2013
  5. The 75% is to catch them before they reach their all-time high so I can watch and act when they do set a new high...

#25     Jun 13, 2013
  6. gaj

gaj

darvas system for over the counter profits.

#26     Jun 13, 2013
  7. In a less restrictive scan, I found all the above except for CTB. I track the 1-Year High/Low Ratio each day, and it appears that CTB fell below 2.00 on 6/6/13.

Note, I use the adjusted highs and lows for my calculations, not the unadjusted figures...

I'll need to debug it and see exactly which rule eliminated them from the list... Probably is the shares outstanding. CYH, for example, has 92.5M.

#27     Jun 13, 2013
  8. mokwit

mokwit

The passage where he is on a world dancing tour and is in Laos just never rang true. [yes, I know Saigon has an Opera house].

#28     Jun 13, 2013
  9. deaddog

deaddog

Are you actively trading this system or just monitoring it. The reason I ask is the number of stocks the scan produces. What other filters do you use?

Darvas, once he found a stock that met his requirements invested heavily in those stocks.

#29     Jun 13, 2013
  10. CYH looks good. It broke out a few days ago (not very convincingly), and reacted back to the 8-day EMA. Looks like a good gainer, though not an explosive one.

CONN is good ... if you bought the breakout on 8/7/2012... But it's been on a tear since 4/3/13...

DPZ first broke out on 10/16/12, but didn't really start moving until 1/2/13..

OCN had a good run from 8/2/12 to 10/24/12, and since 5/23/12 it seems like its consolidating for a big move up. Waiting for the general market doldrums to subside...

VSAT is the best one. It's in a high flag. In fact, it's in it's 2nd high flag, the first being 2/7/13. If this was the first high flag, I'd jump all over it. But it's the 2nd one. Watch or jump in. But put a tight stop around 67-68 (the 21-day EMA is at ~67.5). Soon as the market goes, this one could take off... or collapse....!

The key is to catch these stocks when they first appear on the watchlist...

That's how I caught TASR on Friday 10/3/2003 ... and held on til it crashed after earnings in April 2004....

#30     Jun 13, 2013