Darvas methods?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by grainmerchant, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Yes, and he only traded in bull markets. And never sold a rising stock...

#111     Oct 4, 2010
  2. Darvas boxes and Donchian channels are both interesting. On nq or es I run one or the other always on a few charts. Whenever there is a consolidation, even if its just a few candles, I box things in anyway..so do many. The longer a box builds (a volatility squeeze builds) the more orders line up above and below them..longs and short strops above and vice versa. If you look close in a box (consolidation) what is often happening is probing up and down seeing who shows up, looking for the weak side, then the price tends to wedge up in a box and move out strength into the weak side. Obviously in a strong big order flow agenda trend it will tend to resolve in direction of trend.. But I like to let it reveal and be "swept" into the trade as Al Brooks would say. As an advanced technique I run a quick donchian hi/low/mid line on my dom in ninja. If price is moving up i'll enter a buy just above the mid point catching the buy on the quick pullback. If its a boxed consolidation and something like tickq is breaking upward and Im trading nq I'll do a stop limit buy above the upper donchian line on the dom. No need to look at the chart. Then upon entry I'll lay in target sell orders above and more buys at the mid donchian the theory being in and uptrend if it pulls back to 50% I get hit and it keeps going . If goes beyond the mid and toward the low or below I stop buying scaling in. A quick donchian or darvas applied to your dom will show you real and quick (recent) support/resis/50 zones. I also have midpoint for the session and vwap on the dom..hi/low of day etc etc. Seldom have to look at any charts..just glances. If the box breaks up rather than the buy limit order above I might just hit a buy and attach it to the mid point of the channel line and let that float till hit. I would say boxes are important regardless of weather its Darvas or not. An old saying is play the range, play the break, play the trend on a pullback. Any range is a box. Price really goes from box to box..or price moves from confluence to confluence in waves and patterns. Any box or channel is also a "stable datum"..reduces confusion by giving something to orient to. Then everything moves in relation to it. One I use always is the opening 1 min range. If you have say market depth you can see when orders come in. and around the boxes. Traders do trade within them, outside of them, to them, around and in front of them. Careful of trap (rarer) breakouts after 5 wave force exhaustion..or at big prior box or "level" or big round number, vwap, point of control, session or leg (wave) midpoint etc. Ok, enough rambling. Darvas, Donchian..thumbs up!

#112     May 4, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  3. Shax

Shax

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    #113     May 5, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  4. Shax

Shax

#114     May 6, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  5. vinc

vinc

boxes/channels or no boxes/channels, he was exceptionally good at sticking to his winners..ex-ce-ptio-na-lly!
    he would've been a great bitcoin trader/winner had he laid his hands on it at the begining.. and who knows, maybe even now?:)

boxes/channels by itself won't give you a 10 000% winners..you need luck..

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    #115     May 6, 2021
  6. deaddog

deaddog

Boxes, channels, a bit of fundamental analysis, market awareness, adding to winning positions and a very disciplined sell strategy.

Darvas was adding to positions and taking on margin when others were locking in their profits. A true speculator!!

#116     May 8, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  7. Good1

Good1

Isn't the Darvas method basically the same as Renko boxes? Darvas applied boxes to the hottest stocks in the hottest sectors, going either long, or sitting in cash. What am i missing?

#117     May 21, 2021
  8. Shax

Shax

#118     May 21, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  9. deaddog

deaddog

Money management.

#119     May 22, 2021
  10. Shax

Shax

Here is the formula in Easylanguage of an Indicator inspired by Nicolas Darvas' technique, which plots supports and resistances:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mekvo0lp0i01jnj/Darvas_Box.rar/file

but when I insert it in the chart, the image becomes very narrow, if someone can solve this problem:

[​IMG]

before inserting the indicator, the chart has these dimensions:

[​IMG]

#120     Jun 2, 2021