Darn the world is big

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aquarians, May 9, 2020.

1. I've finished my latest book in the Soviet series, "Afgantsy: The Russians in Afghanistan 1979-89". I may never finish "The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia", it affects me too much.

So, what next? I'm looking at "Soldaten":

On Amazon: "Soldaten: On Fighting, Killing and Dying: The Secret Second World War Tapes of German POWs by Sonke Neitzel (20-Jun-2013)".

Other suggestions?

2. Any Germans around?

I think Neckermann Katalog was an "avant la lettre" Amazon or Aliexpress: https://retroport.de/retro-kult-quelle-katalog/ . As a kid in the 80's Eastern Block I was waiting for a new print on that thing as I'm today looking for sales on Amazon (well, the local branch).

It even was a gray area. Communist govenrnment would not approve on what I now identify as "consummerism" but tell that to consummers. So they had well known (and supervised) places called the "bazaars" where you could get the magazine and fashion ordering a latest suit (fashion was always selling best and as you look at it now, deprecates fastest). Once you remove the artificial obstacles though, it was just a free market back then as today. Have you read my story the Afghanistan rocket heads scam, they were called "neftci" or something? ;)

3. easymon1

easymon1

one possible theory that comes to mind is that multiple agendas of shapers and movers converged to put the war on the agenda as a given in search of a trigger event.

4. easymon1

easymon1

Big numbers made small enough to understand(7 Pics)
    03:54 - News
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. I like the Warren Buffet example.

6. mlawson71

mlawson71

The world is huge but modern communications have made it smaller than ever.

7. easymon1

easymon1