Dark Pools

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ecohensha, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Mnewton

Mnewton

When a large block of stock needs to be bought/sold on the open market rather than jobbed then it is placed on a dark ecn with parameters on pricing and size and time so as not to affect market prices. Much of the dark pool you will see on level 2 with fractional pennies between spread to other ecns. That's how it used to work may have changed somewhat

#11     Jan 5, 2019
  2. guru

guru

#12     Jan 5, 2019
  3. jharmon

jharmon

#13     Jan 6, 2019
  4. guru

guru

So I suspect that not everyone abides by these rules, possibly having a good reason or possibly not. Possibly I'm missing something as well. I do see plenty of transactions on tapes that don't match any recent stock price (within minutes, sometimes hours), especially from some exchanges that seem notorious for late reporting and especially after hours. I think I've seen some explanation somewhere else and will try to find it again, but we also know there are some notorious "manipulators" who don't mind paying fines:
    https://www.chicagobusiness.com/finance-banking/citadel-securities-fined-over-trading-data-errors

#14     Jan 6, 2019
  5. jharmon

jharmon

Show us an exact transaction with all flags.

#15     Jan 6, 2019
  6. guru

guru

#16     Jan 6, 2019
  7. jharmon

jharmon

The post appears to show a screenshot with no trade flags at all and lots of aggregated trades. You need to see the individual trades and the flags (condition codes) on each one.

#17     Jan 6, 2019
  8. Mnewton

Mnewton

Broker to Broker or jobber are not dark pool trades.

#18     Jan 7, 2019
  9. jharmon

jharmon

@Mnewton. They can be. But all trades need to be reported within the reporting parameters. US$200K+ penalties.

#19     Jan 7, 2019
  10. Mnewton

Mnewton

They are listed as block trades can be listed AH

#20     Jan 7, 2019