Dark Pools can they be tracked?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kp95, Mar 16, 2018.

1. kp95

kp95

Is there a way to track dark pools? Or is there a dark pool index, to be tracked that works? The only thing I can find relative to this is on squeezemetrics.com. If anyone has any info regarding to dark pools please let me know I would love to hear your insight.
    Thanks

2. rb7

rb7

What do you want to do with that info if it exists?

It ain't named 'dark' for nothing...

comagnum and athlonmank8 like this.
  3. kp95

kp95

Alot of trading goes on in Dark Pools around 1/3 of the volume. I always see these transactions on the time and sales it would be helpful to know how much buying and selling occurs on particular stocks or index. So looking at any imbalances would be a nice edge to have.

4. rb7

rb7

If I understand, you want to see the volume traded that comes from the dark pools.
    I would say that all volume that is coming from crosses are coming from the dark pools. Not sure if this is identified on data feeds. I'm guessing that your are referring to stocks.

5. kp95

kp95

Yes for stocks I do, sorry should of clarified a little better. You can identify dark pools with the transactions that are half a penny for example on the time and sales you will see orders with 4 digits ex: 80.0505. Those are dark pool orders. Institutions use them, so they can't move the market much, executing large orders.

6. rb7

rb7

I agree, but with many trades that are not in half penny are also coming from the dark pool.
    BTW, I'm not an expert in the stock market (Futures and Options are my thing).

7. yeah lol. What the heck does this guy think he's going to get?

8. One heck of an advantage in the marketplace if he knows what to look for.

CocaColaKid and kp95 like this.
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I'm guessing that trading in dark pools is serious trading, not spoofing. I think knowledge of dark pool orders and transactions would be very useful to some traders.

10. kp95

kp95

exactly!

#10     Mar 16, 2018