Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies attempting to launch himself in homemade rocket

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dealmaker, Feb 23, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Daredevil ‘Mad’ Mike Hughes dies attempting to launch himself in homemade rocket
    By Daniel Cassady

February 23, 2020 | 12:33pm

Enlarge Image
    [​IMG]
    "Mad" Mike HughesAP
    MORE ON:
    CELEBRITY DEATHS
    4-time Tony winner Zoe Caldwell dead at 86

Ja'net DuBois, star of 'Good Times,' dead at 74

Oscars gives lame apology for leaving Luke Perry out of 'In Memoriam'

Vanessa Bryant gets candid about how she 'can't process' loss of Kobe, Gianna
    “Mad” Mike Hughes, the flat-Earther daredevil who once propelled himself over 1,800 feet above the Mojave Desert in a homemade rocket, has died while attempting a similar stunt, according to reports. He was 64.

The launch, which was meant for a new Science Channel series called “Homemade Astronauts,” was supposed to have rocketed Hughes up to 5,000 feet into the air, the TV network said.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to Mike Hughes’ family and friends during this difficult time. It was always his dream to do this launch, and Science Channel was there to chronicle his journey,” the Science Channel said in a statement.

The crash happened Saturday afternoon just off highway 247 in Barstow, California, according to a statement by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s office.

While Hughes was not immediately identified by authorities, they did say that a man was killed after a rocket crashed in the desert during a launch event, CNN reported.

A sheriff’s aviation unit is investigating and no other injuries were reported, according to the report.

Hughes’ prior successful self-manned rocket launch in the Mojave Desert 2018 was an attempt to see if the Earth is flat, he said at the time.

“Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is,” he said. “Do I know for sure? No. That’s why I want to go up in space.”

With Post wires
    https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/dared...empting-to-launch-himself-in-homemade-rocket/

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Darwin catching up to flat Earthers I see

Same Lazy Element and PoopyDeek like this.
  3. mlawson71

mlawson71

I am glad no one else got hurt.

4. Bye, dumbass.

In August 2019, he told Space.com his launch was inspired by President Trump and walked back his earlier statement to the AP that his plans were motivated by a desire to prove flat Earth theories.

"I believe the Earth is flat," Hughes told Space.com. But "this flat Earth has nothing to do with the steam rocket launches," he added. "It never did. It never will. I'm a daredevil!"

5. lol the parachute wanted no part of this skullfuckery.

2020-02-24_05-45-51.png

6. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I watched the doc on him six months back (at 1.5x). He was clearly just going to die stupidly. Not the worst guy but a perfect example of a society where boomers have too many resources to fuck about with like idiot boys.

What can you say? Crowd response.

[​IMG]

7. mlawson71

mlawson71

I just don't get what persuades people to believe in that sort of thing.

8. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

It was fairly clear in the doc that Mad Mike really did not believe in flat Earth nonsense but it was attention grabbing.

There is an excellent series on debunking 9/11 by an English guy, his interview with a psychologist researcher (is much older than he looks) is very instructive on why even comparatively intelligent people sink into the bog of these conspiracies. I'll find it.

9. It’s oppositional behavior. It basically explains the hardcore 30% Trump support. 9/11 Truthers, etc.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  10. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

And to a fair degree clinging on to something they believe they have made sense of in a confusing world, even though their deductions make no sense. I think they need to be steralized.. After pointing out to three of these twits back in 2002 that if the building was in free fall, why were all the other bits not attached free falling so much faster? And this obvious thing millions must have also deduced not making a dent, they should not breed.

#10     Feb 25, 2020