Dao of Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by martys, May 19, 2005.

1. Dao De Ching based on Stephen Mitchell's translation of Lao Tzu's classic http://www.edepot.com/tao4.html

Chapter 1

"The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name."

Conceptual inputation of the truth is not the same as directly experiencing the truth. Once we put labels upon and conceptualize the truth, its essence is lost.

The key to the truth is honesty. Make-belief and preconceptions are impediments to direct experience. Dao (tao) is both the vision and the path. One facet of the puzzle is that a trader has to know who he is... What is his weakness? What is his strength? His methodology should reflect that... there is a better way for him to travel.

P.S. I have some random B.S. about trading that I would like to get out of my head... But as Lao Tzu said... the truth is lost in words.

2. "Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know."

3. Right on! :)

4. Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu

Over two thousand years ago I said: "Make your wheels to go along old ruts." Little did I know that in my 83rd incarnation I would be posting on ET. Shades of "American Gods". Now I am an old rut.

5. Err... Lao Tzu is immortal and I saw him talking to Elvis in Vegas.

6. Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu

"The wise man bends like a reed in the wind." Don't distract me, I am in a losing trade that I am wishing to go the other way. If the yuan is devalued oil will go up, gold will go down, the price of chips will fall, INTC will make more profit, and my NQ trade will come good.

7. IMO "Old Man" is much overrated as a philosopher. For one thing, it is probable that he was not an historical person at all. The scholarly opinion is that the Tao Te Ching represents an accretion of common wisdom over centuries. For another, he was Chinese. Western philosophers, such as myself, are the pinnacle of insight into the pathetic human condition, including people who post in the middle of the night on ET.

8. ... If yuan is devalued oil will go up, gold will go up, the cost of chips will rise, INTC will have less profit margin, and your NQ trade... Good night.

9. I, the Sakyamuni, must beg to differ. The wisdom of the Sakyas will always reign supreme. Were I to couch my First Noble Truth into modern argot, I would say: "Every living trader suffers."

10. OK... we got here a trader-wanna-be (me), a mute, an old man took a long shot, a racist, and a sadist... Should be interesting...

#10     May 19, 2005