Dangerous Times Ahead

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by links, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Very well put.

#31     Feb 27, 2003

2. I agree that the Prez is largely a figurehead but they DO pass tax legislation (or veto same) and they negotiate with Congress and others that set policy - they have a substantial impact IMO. Also the confidence of the Nation in their leader matters too.

We are in complete agreement on the post-war scenario - the BIG Trend is still down - God Bless Volatility.

I would also point out that Greenspan RAISED interest rates 7 times in 1.5 years due to concerns about inflation but IMHO it was panicky and way overdone. That put the brakes on all the cheap venture capital out there, and companies like my wife's - young hi-tech startups that were living from venture capital round to venture capital round (of financing), suddenly found themselves cut off and broke. Not to mention they burned cash like there was no tommorrow.

Combine that with the hugely unrealistic projections of Internet advertising revenues (which a bunch of these companies had used as mainstay of business plan revenue) and they dropped like flies.

Regards,

Paul

#32     Feb 27, 2003
  3. Mr_F

Mr_F

Those who cry for peace, cry in vain. Do you not remember VP Chaney said shortly after 9/11 that we will not see an end to war perhaps in our lifetime. We were at war before 9/11 but did not know it.

For the first time in the history of the world, just one man carrying biological, chemical or nuclear weapons can murder hundreds of thousands or even millions by himself. How do you protect against that and at the same time protect liberties? I believe it is impossible. The world has changed forever and I do not think too many understand this. Moreover, there are even more powerful weapons of the electromagnetic variety that are in the hands of our enemies and have been and are being used against us with loss of life.

If you wish to know more about these weapons of world destruction, go to this link and read for a couple months:

http://www.cheniere.org/toc.html

#33     Feb 27, 2003
  4. i commend you for starting a good topic for a thread, but i didnt read more than two pages to see it turned into yet ANOTHER thread of everyone bitcihng or griping about the war irrespective of what side of the fence they are on. I AM SO SICK OF THIS WAR AND HASNT STARTED YET

KUDOS

#34     Feb 27, 2003
  5. links

links Guest

Yes, us traders are an emotional bunch, they say Trading is War.

Getting back to the topic of trading during times of uncertainty, I am thinking of buying April out of money (perhaps 5 points) QQQ puts and calls. I know the premiums are high but it may still be worthwhile. Just this past week, when the word got out of a fire in Staten Island, NY, the Dow dropped 100 points within minutes. Fasten your seat belts we may be in for a wild roller coaster ride where every rumor moves the mkt 100's of points...

Just wondering if others have thought of any stratergies?

#35     Feb 27, 2003
  6. Ditch

Ditch

I'll stick to my usual 2 pt target and 1 pt stop, worked fine today, which was pretty choppy, i guess. The only environment in which thta doesn't too good, is when you get good fast, smooth swings, but i haven't seen those in a very long time. Should that change i will consider a trailing stop instead of a fixed target.

#36     Feb 27, 2003
  7. buff

buff

This weekend was bandied about to go in: darkness of full moon offering cover. Take note Dan Rather didn't hang around long. Once the troops are in Turkey, look for inspectors to book. General Tommy Franks arrived in Central Command yesterday and over 100K troops are already in Kuwait.

#37     Feb 27, 2003
  8. TGregg

TGregg

Isn't Friday some Islamic holiday (like Sunday for the Christians)? Hmmm . . . .

#38     Feb 27, 2003
  9. Buff,

Do you ever hit the buy button when you mean to sell. :)

":darkness of *full* moon offering cover"....?

#39     Mar 1, 2003
  10. No-one having an opinion about gold ?

Will the present upmove continue for a while, no matter what ?

freealways

#40     Mar 1, 2003