Dangerous Times Ahead

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by links, Feb 26, 2003.

1. toad57

toad57

OK, how do you fight them then?

One way you don't do it is to allow dictators sympathetic to terrorists to flourish and manufacture weapons that the terrorists can purchase/use on US soil. Are you hoping that VX smells like roses, or that you are resistant to biological agents?

Or maybe this is the way to combat terrorism: continuously, over many years, again and again give that despot Saddam "one last chance" as he merrily violates terms put upon him from the war in 1991.

Just how many more "last chances" should we give him?

The UN is a joke- this Iraq confrontation is going to demonstrate to the entire world exactly how effective the UN really is...

If marching around with a bunch of protest signs are going to achieve peace, then where are the 'Disarm Saddam And Give Up Now' demonstrations? Oh, I forgot- he's just an innocent, white-robed victim of evil US imperialist ideals, no need to protest against him.

I don't want any wars either, but some people don't realize that true peace always comes at a great price.

#21     Feb 27, 2003

2. AHEM -

1) Bush did not create the situation with Iraq - IMO he's the first one since his father to step up and try to do the right thing - Clinton? Hah! He had 8 years to do something about terror threats but he too busy getting impeach attempt/scandals/B.S.

2) Bush did not create bad economy (combo of bull market bubble pop, Sept. 11, Clinton's policies, Fed over-reaction and 7 rate hikes, etc.) He has inherited it, now you people bash him for something he didn't do. And everyone expects instant miracles from Bush as the whole WORLD economy reels - yeah, that's his fault to.

3) These absured oil conspiracy theories are getting old - (yes you, Harrytrader - get a grip) He's already rich and President - what would he have to gain? Bush would be much happier to be the guy that salvaged a shitty economy and ended the war quick - to be a hero. Guaranteed re-election and famous spot in history.

Gotta stick up for my Prez - IMO he's most straight-shooter in a long time.

Economic Policy takes years to have an effect - just ask Clinton, the benefactor of Reagan & Bush SR. 's policies. It sure as hell wasn't anything he did.

Peace,

Paul

#22     Feb 27, 2003
  3. very nicely put dude. Me, i am on 'holiday' since last week.

#23     Feb 27, 2003
  4. You don't have to stay out of the market, but leverage could be a killer. Some of you futures guys should consider playing the old fashioned stock market for the next month, there are lots of setups out there both long and short.

#24     Feb 27, 2003
  5. Huios

Huios

Well put Paul. My sentiments exactly.

H

#25     Feb 27, 2003
  6. Paul,

I would agree with you on most points except that in reality NO president really has the true power that turns an economy up or down. There are socioeconomic forces or waves that are much larger than any one president that cause the ups and downs. However, if we're going to blame/credit a person at all for our economic fortunes/misfortunes, that would have to be Alan Greenspan for his decades long meddling into the economy. It was his extension of all too easy credit that facilitated our huge runups, and also gave us the rope to hang ourselves.

As far as the war goes, DEBKA has reported that U.S. and British forces have already covertly and quietly taken Iraq's oil fields near the Kuwaiti border, and they are now fully under our control. Assuming Saddam doesn't lob any chems or bios at Israel or our troops, it looks like things could go smoothly.

If so, the market will rally hard. The market has already tipped its hand that it wants to go higher, and it just wants to get past the uncertainty of the war. After it rallies, though, the fundamental market and economic reality will set in and back down we'll go. Great opportunities on both long and short sides.

#26     Feb 27, 2003
  7. MTG

MTG

My crystal ball says: when/if the bombing starts it will happen before US markets open and the Gap will be so high only the bravest (or craziest) of us will buy the gap. When the alert status is changed to RED, or "Severe Risk", the market participants will fear reprisal attacks on the US, by the so called "Cells", and then market will tank. Should be a major roller coaster. Checkmate

Then again... who knows!!

#27     Feb 27, 2003
  8. maxpi

maxpi

You would not believe him if he claimed it without proof. Al qaida buried the proof.

Max

#28     Feb 27, 2003
  9. maxpi

maxpi

Basically the U.N. has sided with Saddam twice now.

Bush Sr. did not go after Saddam because the U.N. mandate only called for him to oust Iraq's army from Kuwait. This time we are attacking not because another country asked for our help but because we ourselves were attacked, not the U.N., so I say what's the U.N. got to do with anything?

Max

#29     Feb 27, 2003
  10. Here, I'll go out on a big limb - you know go against the crowd talking about U.N this and that, troops sitting around in the DESERT until fall, or until France comes along for the ride, etc. The war starts either Sunday night or Monday night this weekend. It's the new moon time and allows to start the air campaign. The President didn't speak last night to counter Fox's ratings for Joe Millionaire and American Idol. Two-thirds of Iraq is already technically under control with the No-Fly zones in place, this allows a slow process of moving the ground trooops into place and setting up bases. The rest, who knows?

I think that it rather funny to see Colin Powell who stopped the first war early without meeting any true objectives because he didn't want the world to see(world opinion) the highway of death video. Now his whole campaign and every ounce of energy is trying to sway world opinion for a war. Botom line - set an objective - and screw WORLD OPINION!!!

#30     Feb 27, 2003