Dangerous strategy on expiration

Discussion in 'Options' started by rickf, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Yes, Fridays (expiration) are a notoriously bad time to be speculating in the market. Other bad days are Thursdays, Wednesdays, Tuesdays, and Mondays - - - to paraphrase a great writer. :D

AZD

#11     Oct 19, 2007
  2. spindr0

spindr0

I agree with everything that guys said, particularly the statement that "This isn't going to hurt at all" :>)

Now this is stretching the OP's post a bit but hey, it's my nickel!

If one is a stock buyer via selling puts, prices have dropped and one is willing to own the stock at strike less premium received, selling NP's a week before expiration can be attractive. For an ATM put, you can get about 1/2 the premium for a one week write that you get for a 4 week write. This ratio tails off as the strike gets more OTM but you get the idea.

Of course, this is probably heresy since all ET participants are top shelf prima facie option traders :)

#12     Oct 20, 2007
  3. rickf

rickf

Nah, IMHO you're still playing with fire, even on the indices....unless it was a reeeeally quiet day (and what expiration is?) I still wouldn't do it!

I bumped into the trader this morning and he said that when he got back from the gym it was -200 on the DJIA. He ran some errands and it was -300 an hour later. I asked if he did any of the "last minute" trades and he simply smiled and said "not in this market today." Guess there was some modicum of common sense present in the world yesterday!

#13     Oct 20, 2007