Dang I got excited too quick

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Mecro, Mar 9, 2004.

1. You don't futures trade at all MIKE?

Swinging 2-3 LOT NQ's is equivalent to trading 1000 lot QQQ's while requiring much less capital?

#21     Mar 9, 2004
  2. Mecro

Mecro

Not even that, but Naz seems to have both trendy stocks and extreme momentum plays. NYSE has a few fast moving momentum stocks but their volume and illiquidity is just absurd. NYSE has its movers and hypothetically there is always something nice moving (until you actually get in). But from my observations, there is not even a comparison of opportunities between Naz & NYSE. Naz wins hands down.

NYSE is good to learn on, however. The craziness of Nazdaq is not something to jump into as a newbie. But after you get sick of watching a stock churn at a penny range for over an hour, you kinda want to move on. (Thats FDS, btw, take a look, quite pathetic)

#22     Mar 9, 2004
  3. Like I said in another post, if your looking for something to trade come join us in Euroland. 200 to 300 ticks a day are not unusual. I would monitor it for awhile before jumping in.

#23     Mar 9, 2004
  4. I think the DAX might fit your trading style well... :D

#24     Mar 9, 2004
  5. Mecro

Mecro

Who me?

Man my dad trades the Russian stock market going on almost 10 years. He says the US equity markets make him fall asleep. This was like in 2001-2002 when he said that.
    NYSE would have made me fall asleep today if it wasn't for Maria babbling out of her ass. I can imagine it must be laughable to traders across the ocean how bad this volatility is.

You know and I am comparing this market the beginning of 2003. I can imagine how horrible it seems to traders that traded through 1999-2002.

#25     Mar 9, 2004
  6. Focus on swing trading the IWM. Tight spreads.. good liquidity, big range... and super smooth. There are futures on it too.

The reason I like to trade the ETF's as opposed to futures.. is that it allows me to scale more.. which i really enjoy. I wouldnt trade Russel 2k futs unless I was big enough to do a 5 lot... which is pretty big because its so volatile.

--MIKE

#27     Mar 9, 2004
  7. FDS had $1.70 move near midday today on 3/9/04. what are you talking about?

#28     Mar 9, 2004
  8. Mecro

Mecro

He had a lighting quick run-up in 20 min that was quite hard to get into. Took some balls and some luck.
    Look at 2:15-3:30. I was short from the run up and that trade was putting me to sleep. I ended up covering early because it was getting ridiculous.

FDS was the best moving NYSE stock I saw today. Very dissapointing.

#29     Mar 9, 2004
  9. cuz

cuz

Mecro...............I am going to take a shot in the dark here,as I have read this entire post. You made reference to traders from 99 to 01 I believe

Although I agree in a dull market I prefer the ETF's, who am I kidding, I love them anyway.

But did you ever consider scaling in and out maybe 1-2 lots, buying weakness and selling strength?

It requires being very dynamic and the moves aren't pretty but you can make a decent buck for the day, trading a 40 cent range.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

#30     Mar 9, 2004