Damn, is it over..

Discussion in 'Trading' started by aaronk321, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Cruzan

Cruzan

That mini bear market in March was great! I was shorting stocks practically with my eyes closed, the money was so easy. The key, though, was back then there was, at least for that short period, an overall bear sentiment in the market, which is what made it so easy. So far even with this string of down days, the same low hanging fruit has yet to appear and the market remains decidedly undecided. Let's see if today's yet another 150+ point loss finally makes up some minds.

#11     Aug 15, 2007
  2. una11

una11

Downtrend for sure, but bear market no. The monthly charts of the SPX and INDU haven't even made lower highs or anything which would signal a major change in trend. Not saying a bear market hasn't started, but it is too soon to call it that IMO.

#12     Aug 15, 2007
  3. were are only about 8.6% off the highs. Not even at 10% yet. Probably hit 10%, then rebound a little. Then we will see where this thing is gonna go.

#13     Aug 15, 2007
  4. S&P is 9.6% off the high....

#14     Aug 15, 2007
  5. una11

una11

Take a look at 1998: the SPX fell a bit over 17% according to my rough calculations and then the market kept rising until the REAL bear market began in 00/01. So far we are in a sharp downtrend, but anybody saying a new bear market has begun is just being dramatic.

#15     Aug 15, 2007
  6. Weekly Dow chart with S/R level added.

#16     Aug 15, 2007
  7. Me no post here no more but I see you chart and over at the bottom of your computer by the clock I see icon of doggie.

So me just have to say

Woof Woof

WOOF, WOOF, WOOF WOOF

WOOF

#17     Aug 15, 2007
  8. The morning action is always the greatest 'tell' - why the fuck do the bulls aggressively buy the mornings if the bears engage in fire sales in the afternoon 18 out the last 20 sessions.

#18     Aug 15, 2007
  9. notouch

notouch

The trouble is the market has been slicing through these support levels like they don't exist. The market is loving giving bulls false hope at the moment - little rallies off of support followed by sharp down moves. That 12800 level might provide a few hours of support but the bear move is too strong at the moment. It's just orderly selling at the moment. Wait until we start to see some real panic.

#19     Aug 15, 2007
  10. for pete's sake. i love these unsubstantiated assumptions...

are we in a bear market? no. not by most people's def. the 50 is above the 200, and we are still relatively close to all time highs.

are we trending downwards? yes. at least on a shorter timeframe.

regardless, there are ALWAYS good shorts AND good longs out there. it's a matter of proper risk profile and targeted entries.

obviously (speaking from an intraday futures trading angle) there have been some PHENOMENAL shorting opp's. but also some great snapper shortcovering rallies to play long.

i can be simultaneously short a position play and long a scalper play in the very same instrument (dow futes). it's all about risk management, time horizon, etc.

but to say we are in a bear market is premature.

we have certainly suffered some technical damage. that is sure

and the trading is WONDERFUL!!!!!

#20     Aug 15, 2007