Dallas vs. Chicago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by southlaketrader, Aug 6, 2006.

Dallas vs. Chicago

1. Dallas is a better city to live/work in.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Chicago is a better city to live/work in.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. I would not recommend either city.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. For finance, you have to live in NYC.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. I am considering moving from Dallas to Chicago in a year. What do I need to know and how should I prepare for the city?

I have lived and worked in the Dallas area for my entire life and have never really worked in any other cities. I have travelled around but have never been to Chicago.

What do I need to know to survive in Chicago? I don't have a college degree but do have 3 years of industry experience with my licenses. Could I get any decent work in Chicago without a degree? I would think it's ultracompetitive in the area.

I am a single guy with no wife/kids. Just me moving only. I'm a simple guy who doesn't need a whole lot, but how much should I expect to save up before moving?

And how is the cost of living? Just to give an example, you can get a really nicely located apartment in the Dallas area for $500-$600. I'm talking a really upscale apartment complex close to a few jobs and in a nice safe location.

Can you get that in Chicago? I'm will to drive up to 20-40 minutes for a job. Are there any major differences between Chicago and Dallas that you know of?

I'm just looking for some feedback on why Chicago is a good or bad place to live.

Thank you.

2. dallas 106 in the summer..

chicago -106 in the winter....

enjoy:)