Dallas Traders...

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by canyonman00, Jul 24, 2003.

1. sg027

sg027

Hi,

I'm in the Dallas area, and just looked at the AFTA website. I see you get some interesting speakers, but from the web site I can't find much more information. Approximately how many members are there. Do you review products, share trading strategies, mentor less experienced traders, have group purchase plans, etc?

Thanks

#21     Oct 21, 2003
  2. Bsulli

Bsulli

Close to a 1000 members with usually a couple of hundred at any given meeting. Product review for the most part is a no-no, but are limited to referencing their own website. The speaker is suppose to be there to talk about trading strategies and they are usually excellent presentations. A member will do a generally state of the market overview for the first 20-30 minutes and the speaker is given an hour or so with a short break and then another 15-30 minutes of open questioning for those who want to stay and listen to the follow up. As for mentors most anyone at the meeting is approachable for discussion( large cross section of traders from Brokers to hedge fund managers to home base retail traders who just want to learn more). As for group plans you can talk with the membership director, the individual is at every meeting and generally sits at the table outside the door, if not sitting there they will find them for you. This particular AFTA chapter is the largest in the country that is why the big name speakers will show up.

I have found over the years that I get quite a bit from each speaker prespective.

Tonight's meeting will have John Hill from Future Truth to talk about trading systems. So be interesting.

As for the website the last newsletter said it is about to be overhauled to be more informative. Currently done by a part time volunteer. Shows doesn't it? lol

Go to a couple of meetings and you will give a feel if it's right for you. No one will make you feel uncomfortable for attending thats for sure.

Good luck and good trading.

Bsulli

#22     Oct 21, 2003
  3. You are either joking, or smoking crack dude. That would be like me saying I live in Chicago but when I need good Pizza I go back to Dallas.

#23     Oct 21, 2003
  4. Bsulli

Bsulli

I would think the New Yorkers in the crowd would say for pizza NY city is the place to go! lol

Only kidding
    :D

#24     Oct 21, 2003
  5. I agree. But you get the point!!!

FYI - I LOVE Chicago Pizza - well, I have only had it at two restaurants. But excellent.

For NY, John's Pizzeria in Greenwich Village is the best.

#25     Oct 21, 2003
  6. Bright's Dallas office is closed down. In fact I may be spending some time down there too and need a prop shop in Dallas.

Anybody?

#26     Nov 5, 2003
  7. Call it what you like. I have had several folks down here describe BBQ and where to get it. And all I can say about most of it is - it's ok! There is a place for ok too. If it tastes great to you, fine. But having spent quite a bit of time in most of the major cities in this counrty, I can tell you that this ain't great BBQ here. And sorry, Dallas is not known for having great pizza either.

And I am neither joking, nor smoking! That example of your's, Dallas Pizza, says it all. I need ccomment no further! :)

#27     Nov 5, 2003
  8. Canyonman....

Hows your dad doing?

I hope all is better for you....

rttrader1 - John from Redwood

#28     Nov 6, 2003
  9. He's a little better. Thanks for asking. Haven't forgot about the setup, just getting family straightened out first. Just took a short road trip to NY and now back in Dallas until Tuesday when I'll be back in Chicago for three weeks. Hopefully by then things will be where I can get back to my venture. :)

#29     Nov 7, 2003
  10. sg027

sg027

I trade futures so I'm not the best informed on this. I think that there may not be any prop firms left in Dallas. Several years ago I attended a presentation by I believe the name was ProTrader, they were in Dallas but they were moving their office to the Galleria area. I got a call from them several months later saying that I could trade the S&P Emini with them. Several months ago I tried looking them up. It seems that they had some sort of office in Austin, but most of the people were doing remote trading, meaning from home. The Dallas office didn't exist anymore.

I was at the open house when Bright Trading opened their Dallas office. It didn't seem like it was that long ago. Now you say that they are closed. That's interesting, I would think that in an area this size there would be enough interest to to keep an office open. Bright may let you do remote trading, i.e., from home, but there are other places to choose from if you want to go that route.

#30     Nov 10, 2003