Dairy and meat are the key to health

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by traderob, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

First, that is "The Case Against Sugar", which is a different book. Second, I would not be surprised when someone challenges decades of accepted doctrine that has a defense bordering on zealotry that they are attacked on all fronts. I cannot understand why people who call themselves intellectuals or scientists or doctors simply are so vested in their positions that they completely and totally discount any possible evidence presented otherwise no matter how compelling.

When someone shows me something that is factual - not subjective - and makes me re-evaluate my position, I am thankful. I don't want to walk around my whole life in ignorance or with an incorrect position.

In "Why We get Fat", Taubes points out case study after case study of peer reviewed papers, diets, and findings of the largest and most well-known medical organizations on the planet. He points out what they hoped to find, what they found and how these studies were flawed or weren't, and why. He frequently speaks to what he knows, and what he believes - and the distinction between this. He talks about what is settled and what should be challenged, and welcomes people to challenge his conclusions.

I would also point to the sugar lobby's influence in stifling anything anti-sugar in the press, on the internet and in Washington. They are very powerful, as you probably know.

#11     Oct 13, 2020
  2. Taubes is something of an Atkins adherent. FYI Atkins suffered congestive heart failure. I would not go down that road. As Dr. Dean Ornish said, you don’t want to mortgage your future health for short term benefits.

Here’s another critical assessment of Taubes’s work:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.co...ave-doubts-about-gary-taubess-why-we-get-fat/

#12     Oct 13, 2020
  3. Most of these low-carb guys are Atkins 2.0. With that in mind, have a look at these videos I posted previously in another thread:

#13     Oct 13, 2020
  4. Simple versus complex carbohydrates such a fiberous vegetables good, sugars especially when not sufficiently excercising bad. Carb loading with certain starches can be beneficial if planning a sustained amount of excercise. Soda is the worst, especially those sugary beverages with appetite stimulating caffeine.

I have found when my blood glyogen levels are low either due to a large number of calories burned through a long hike or through fasting, fatty foods are very satiating and simple carb flavors such as fruit, are very strong.

I know a Univerisity professor who is a dietitian. I challenge anyone to gain weight on her plant based diet.

#14     Oct 13, 2020
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Dr. Robert Atkins, creator of the high-protein, low-carbohydrate Atkins Diet, died Thursday after an accidental fall on April 8 left him comatose.

As for Taubes, once again I find myself pointing out an example of people attacking the person, and not the information presented. That's fine, go right ahead. I fully expect massive pushback when poorly developed theories have been accepted as paradigm for so long. People are too vested in the story they've been told and accepted.

In the book Why We Get Fat, there are numerous peer reviewed cases used as example for the ideas Taubes shares. You, or anyone else, is welcome to debate any of it.

#15     Oct 14, 2020
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

To say "I challenge anyone to gain weight" is a very open ended challenge. Women in menopause, for example, will likely gain weight on this plant based diet. Do you know why? I do.

#16     Oct 14, 2020
    #17     Oct 14, 2020
  8. You are missing the point. Taubes has been accused of misrepresenting information by people far more informed on this subject matter than we are. Do you not get that?

#18     Oct 14, 2020
  9. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Paywall, but I can read the text you put out there.

#19     Oct 14, 2020
  10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I read this entire post. Nothing in here refutes the science in the book Why We Get Fat. It goes after Gary, his dimensions and how he argues things but spends more time talking about the Atkins diet than anything else.

The Atkins diet is mentioned in Why We Get Fat for all of about 3 pages. Its given a cursory glance. That's it. Why this guy spends all the time on it I have no idea.

I'm not defending the atkins diet (you brought up Atkins, as did this blogger). That's not at all what i've been talking about.

#20     Oct 14, 2020