Daily Stock Price Downloads: Stockwatch.com

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Wetton, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Wetton

Wetton

Just wondering if there is anyone out there who can give me some pointers and some help.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Download the end of day stock quotes (OHLC & Vol) into an Excel spreadsheet. I'm only interested in Cdn stocks at this time.
    2. I would like to have a separate spreadsheet for each stock that I am tracking.
    3. I would like to automate the process so that it occurs everyday at the same time.
    4. From that point, I will be sorting the data into a useable format for myself.

I'm currently using Excel 2003 and would like to use the data from Stockwatch.com (if anyone out there is currently using them). I've read through their explanation but it's not working for me. Very frustrating. The sample spreadsheet they provide does not work for me.

Anyways, I know there are some very clever traders on these forums and would greatly appreciate any help. I'm just trying to cut down on the amount of search time that I go through everyday.

Here's what Stockwatch has posted on their help page:

Stockwatch Web Query
    This feature allows you to automatically download stock information, either into a spreadsheet such as Excel, a file, or any application program that can automatically extract data from web pages.
    We have a sample Excel spreadsheet which contains a macro for automatic stock price download. Click here to download the spreadsheet.

The number of web queries you can do each day, and the maximum number of quotes per query, depends on your subscription level. This service is NOT AVAILABLE if you have a Starter or Intermediate subscription. A Trader level or higher is required.

Subscription Number of Queries
    Per Day Max Quotes
    Per Query
    Trader 150 100
    Daytrader 500 300
    Max 5000 300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Use
    Use this template to construct a URL for use as a web query in Excel:

http://www.stockwatch.com/swnet/utilit/utilit_webquery.aspx?
    what=quote
    &format=[comma|tab]
    &fields=<list of field codes>
    &pf=<portfolio number - omit if you enter symbols>
    &symbols=<symbol list - omit if you use a portfolio>
    &region=<default region (C or U)>
    &header=[Y|N]

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Wetton

Wetton

Just as a follow up, I wouldn't be going through this hassle but I cannot find any stock screener that covers Cdn stocks that will do what I want.

If anyone should know of a good Cdn screener, all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

3. Wetton

Wetton

bump