Dad's Kid Day Trading Journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by DadsSon, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkhoi

nkhoi

you are an astute observer. You know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

#31     Apr 1, 2012
  2. I think he means that you don't need spiritual help for your trading systems, but for your soul.

It's OK to feel frustrated. Your advanced models have not delivered the pot of gold like you once thought they could. I think you will find help if you search your bitter soul and recognize that you need help from an Infinite source.......

#32     Apr 1, 2012
  3. p3dr0Inno

p3dr0Inno

Good going kid.

One heads up though, bout time you stop using quotes around "Dad".

Dad without the quotes is adequate, cos the fella has put in work for you.

Peace

#33     Apr 1, 2012
  4. I already know God and am like God.

#34     Apr 1, 2012
  5. Like how Jack Hershey's method has no quantitative rules?

That's not separation, there is only chaff for you and any JHM follower who doesn't know how to backtest or any "trader" without a backtest, for that matter.

#35     Apr 1, 2012
  6. amatulic

amatulic

Seeing the skepticism here, allow me to express my own.

First, look at the title of this forum: Forums ›› Trading for a Living ›› Journals. That's all this is, a place to post a personal journal. DadsSon isn't trying to sell anything, so why the negativity?

Forgive me for being blunt, but the cluelessness evident in some of these comments makes ME skeptical that you guys trade at all.

I used to think the same way before I grew up and started trading for real, and I still think that way to some extent because I am analytical and also a good coder, so I like to make use of my skills. But I know better. Sure, keep insisting on backtestable automated systems. You'll still be doing that when you're too old and feeble to click your mouse button. No amount of backtesting is going to make you a good trader.

A good mentor who has traded for a living for decades isn't going to allow a student to publish his methods to the public. That should be obvious. NDAs are common in this business, duh. And neither the mentor nor the student have any obligation to satisfy anyone's curiosity about the mechanics of the method. He's revealed a lot already - a way to identify trend, the fact that he enters on pullbacks, and an indicator to identify possible reversals. Any fool would knows that such a method will make money with disciplined trader behind it. I recall even Larry Williams referred to such as "holy grail" methods.

Assume good faith that the rules being taught here have already been tested. To imply that they haven't is clueless. Remember that computer simulation isn't the only way to test. Years of live trading experience is another way. Rules that have survived either kind of testing would benefit someone inexperienced like DadsSon.

The assertion that any trading idea must be worthless if it can't be automated is similarly clueless. There isn't a substitute for knowing price action, and price action (such as wave patterns, volume/price patterns, and especially chop) are notoriously difficult to identify with reliable consistency in software. There's some "I know it when I see it" that comes only with practice. To the extent one can describe human recognition objectively, one can program a computer, but the effort in doing so isn't worth it when you could be making money in the markets instead.

DadsSon should do well, especially if he doesn't have a lifetime of bad habits to unlearn, like being afraid to pull the trigger because he hasn't programmed it or not yet found the perfect backtestable auto-trade system.

I also want to mention this isn't the first time I've seen a teenager successful at trading. In a previous job, one of my employees managed to put himself through college with his trading profits, not by making a windfall but by learning to earn it consistently (he did it by stock picking) through high school and college. That's something to be proud of. It would be really cool if DadsSon could accomplish something similar.

DadsSon, I look forward to seeing your progress. The rest of you noobs can shut up and watch.

-A

#36     Apr 2, 2012
  7. DadsSon

DadsSon

Good Afternoon All, it is Easter week. One of my favorite times of the year, my younger sis/bro's still get Easter baskets and of course celibrations at church.

Thank you etile, julian0625, nkhoi, Wide tailz, p3dr0Inno, bwolinsky, and amatulic for your posts and advise.

Dad told me some interesting stuff last night and trading and I suppose life/business might be the same. People will give out samples like offering you an apple but what they really doing is like being Satan, offer you something good, but then you will pay for it with your soul.

My bwolinsky, your comments show you are really Satan. I read your Profile you are a vendor and CTA, which Dad says you are a professional.
    So you crying out for the strategy I use, and as a professional is trying to steal from me. Shame on you, you can't make anything work for you? I doubt Dad teaches evil people.

Dad said something about whether you pay for Vendor status to even put that stuff in your profile. I don't know what that all about, but sounds like a professional shouldn't be attacking a kid.

Somebody wrote about putting you on ignore and thats what I am going to do. I would think you could work up your own methods without stealing. And Dad says guys who primary only program have overlooked tons of price action they never see cause they didn't do it manually. Just cause you can't make something work on your machine doesn't mean people with more experience can't do it.

And you are not like God at all, just someone who is evil. CLICK.

WOW, today was hard.

Russell opened inside chop, so I have to wait, then trend bounced around back and forth, I have to wait longer for clear breakout of price. Price headed lower and TSI headed for extreme but VOLUME is flat, so notes say no one interested in selling off.

Extreme pattern ended so no trade but set up for trend trade +2.00

Volume increasing for Extreme trade and this was easy +1.00

Next one was trend trade, but didn't go anywhere out with +.10

In afternoon:

Volume increasing and sold, didn't get to a buck and got +.60

Back to school.

#37     Apr 2, 2012
  8. amatulic

amatulic

Yeah, but you had a winning day. Can't complain about no losses. Congratulations!
    -A

#38     Apr 2, 2012
  9. DadsSon

DadsSon

Tuesday, had to wait over an hour, morning had big bars in two pushes up, so no buys. Big bars going down and Small double bottoms made so no sells. Then no entries for two trend changes, no retracements.

1st trade buy and got stopped out - 1.10 and have to stop till my lunch.

2nd trade, got in late on Extreme, Volume increasing, extended profit target and got +1.50 and quit on the day.

I did wrong by extending target. Had to some weights after school.
    Dad says if you start changing rules even on profitable trades, it will hurt me later on.

I guess I can see that, but I made up the losses?

#39     Apr 3, 2012
  10. As far as delusional goes, the notion that a teenager will be able to continue making non-automated discretionary bets and be profitable takes the cake. I wasn't asking you for your system. As a matter of fact, I was even telling you what to do to improve it. I've also told you to get some programming skills before you start thinking that you're a profitable trader.

The only traders that are succesful are the ones with backtests and black boxes. Discretionary trading is a myth and fantasy and until you learn how to use your computer with something other than a mouse it will be interesting to see where the first 10 point TF loss comes from and if you'll even report it.

#40     Apr 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.