D-Link Airplus 614+

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uptik2000, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Trader friends-

This is my first ET post while wirelessly connected to the internet!:D

It's a beautiful thing. If you are avoiding the wireless network because you think you're a computer dummy, go out and order one now.
    Total install time from cutting the box open to operational was about 6minutes. First networking install for me. So anyone can do it.

Now I can surf the net anywhere in the house...keep an eye on quotes while in the can (don't ya hate when the coffee kicks in seconds after you get in the mkt?)

Happy Trading.:cool:

#11     Jun 19, 2003
  2. Banjo

Banjo

Can I have my pc's and my wifes mac connected to the same wireless router/ dsl feed?
    Never mind, got it.

#12     Jun 19, 2003
  3. complex

complex

yes. i think the limit of one 802.11b access point is something like 150 users. performace will degrade gradually up to that point, but you need lots of users. i myself have never experienced it, although i've only seen up to 50 users connected to one access point.

complex

#13     Jun 19, 2003
  4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

Awesome uptik, congratulations. I remember that feeling. Great to see you went with the Netgear. Here's what I recommend you do:

1) Make sure you change the SSID (at minimum) by default it's "Wireless", or have WEP enabled, select 128bit, and then put together a 26 character alphanumeric password. It may be a pain in the ass, but worth it in the long run. I did it after realizing the jackass across the street was laid off and d'loading stuff from Kazaa with my line.

2) Change your User Id and password to get into the router. Some idiot in the neighbrohood could get in, disable the WEP and really jam you up.

3) Walk around the house with the laptop, and make mental notes of where the signal fades. Then triangulate the area that's closest to the router, a place where you can hardwire an "Access Point" ME102. It's well worth it, as it really extends the signal. You never know when you need to carry the laptop far from the router. When I have a real emergency, I take the laptop out on the deck so I can watch the ice in my Margarita melt. :)

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=283808&pfp=BROWSE

Congrats, send me a P/M if you need help.

#14     Jun 19, 2003
  5. okwon

okwon

That is too funny.:D I will be enabling WEP on my wireless device and password protecting my wireless network now.

#15     Jun 19, 2003
  6. Jai-
    Thanks for the tips. I'm loving this thing.

I'm moving in August and one reason I wanted this is so I can sit out on the deck and watch the ice melt too. :) While pulling on an occasional Cohiba too.

I will do the security updates and look into that access point too.

Thanks again for your help.

uptik2000

#16     Jun 19, 2003